Radiator

Radiator

Nwolford51

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
So maybe I can get a better answer from the users on this site. I have a 1980 CJ7 that has a 350 swap with a turbo 350 Transmission . It has the original radiator. The problem is that the engine is running around 220 degrees. My question is which radiator should I get. A 3 core or a 4 core? The 3 core is around $75 dollars cheaper but wanted to know if there is a big enough difference between them. Any help or suggestions on where to get the radiator would be great. Also didn't know if there was a radiator that would fit in the jeep or if they have to be the conversion radiators? Thanks. I have found a used body, fenders, and once I get this radiator I will only need a new door and possibly a windshield frame and will be starting a rebuild thread.

I got the conversion rad. from novak for mine.

One question... Are you running a fan shroud?

The standard V8 CJ radiator is 3 core - that is what I have in mine and it cools just fine with a pretty hopped up 390.

When you say it has the original radiator, do you mean the original CJ radiator? Did the CJ have a I6 or a V8 in it before? How many cores does it have?

The standard CJ radiator has the outlet (can't remember if the inlet is correct) on the wrong side for a Chevy V8, but I have had them move the outlet on a standard radiator for a Chevy at the radiator shop.

Skip the aluminum radiators, they are less efficient at cooling as the copper/brass.
They are popular due to the reduced weight.

A quality copper/brass radiator, with a ford contour electric fan/shroud combo cools
a buddies caddy 502 in a CJ7 .

The fan, shroud, and radiator are a package deal, skimp in any area and your cooling will suffer.
I'd also recommend a flush of the system as who knows what's floating around.

As mentioned earlier, Novak has some great tech you can read about conversions, as well as cooler for the AT.
I do have a question, before replacing the radiator, have you checked the water pump? I run 250s in work trucks and know they can be finicky in the cooling department.

I have not check the water pump but I believe that it is performing just fine. The thermostat is 195 degrees and opens fine. The water is moving just fine. I have an extra waterpump that I can put on it to see if that helps. I just was trying to see what everyone else did in there v8 swaps.

I bought my conversion radiator form 4wd hardware since the hose attachments are opposite of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that came out. I bought the 4 core and then got a proper shroud plus I went with a Mr Gasket high flow 180 degree thermostat and it works excellent.

I have not check the water pump but I believe that it is performing just fine. The thermostat is 195 degrees and opens fine. The water is moving just fine. I have an extra waterpump that I can put on it to see if that helps. I just was trying to see what everyone else did in there v8 swaps.
The last thing I would do is replace the water pump - as they usually work or they don't.

You never answered if you have a fan shroud or not... :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom