radiator

radiator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj7,258 inline 6, dana30 ,amc20,dana 300
i have heard that if you have a small leak in the radiator you can put a little bit of pepper in there is this true

I have heard of that too, also cigarette tobacco and I have seen that done. For temporary fixes only to get you off the trail. If you have a leak the best fix is take it to a radiator shop for permanent fix.
Dennis

I have heard of that too, also cigarette tobacco and I have seen that done. For temporary fixes only to get you off the trail. If you have a leak the best fix is take it to a radiator shop for permanent fix.
Dennis
You can also loosen the radiator cap to keep it from building pressure. But, like you said, it's only temporary.

If you have a bigger (not huge) leak, you can stuff a raw potato over the hole. the potato will swell up long enough to get you back to civilization, then you can have steamed potato for lunch!

Disclaimer: don't eat the freakin' potato after its been in the radiator! DUH! lol

well darn, I was thinking baked potato and a can of beans on the exhaust manifold and of course whatever road kill I could find.:laugh:

Honestly , I had never known about the potato thing. I hope I never have the ocation to use it.

If you have a bigger (not huge) leak, you can stuff a raw potato over the hole. the potato will swell up long enough to get you back to civilization, then you can have steamed potato for lunch!

Disclaimer: don't eat the freakin' potato after its been in the radiator! DUH! lol

I have heard of pepper fixing small leaks. You can also buy radiator leak fix but I would just take it into a radiator shop. They can solder the leak.
I prefer not to add anything like that to the coolant. The radiator leak fixes that you can buy are not as questionable as the ones that claim to fix head gaskets but I would rather get it fixed the right way. Just my 2¢
If you are going to add anything to the coolant I would buy something at an auto parts store and leave the pepper and potatoes for the dinner table.

thanks for all the info i am going to check around for a new radiator because it will drive me crazy even being a small leak

If it on a tank you should try soldering it yourself, could be a good learning experience and you could save yourself a lot of $$$. I had a seem split its actually pretty easy to do a propane torch, flux, wire brush, and the right solder (ill have to find my roll of solder to tell which to use if interested) will fix it up right

Droooiiddd 2

Talking about beans, I drove truck for some twenty eight years and found out the hard way that putting canned goods like beans,or any other food in a can will explode all over the engine compartment if you don't vent the can first (you know poke a hole in the lid)

I've also used JB weld on rads to fix holes in rad on tractors and stuff. Now this isn't as good a fix as taking out and having rad shop fix, or soddering the hole yourself, will have to keep that in mind and try. But it will work tell you can find a new rad aspecially for those hard to find rads.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom