REALLY messed up this time

REALLY messed up this time
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5 Renegade former owner of '94 Cherokee. '68 Gladiator
Short version of a long and aggravating story. Went on a trip for my B day. Nothing but problems with the RV. Had to unhook "Rusty" had get parts and tools in Missoula. 11Pm at night finally got things running. Hooked up "Rusty" and take off. Slow going then realize for got to take him out of 2nd gear when I hooked him back up. Now we have a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ci that starts and runs but ugly noises from what sounds like the top end. Pulled cover and rockers/push rods appear ok. Will do a compression check today and then pull each push rod just to be sure. Any other suggestions gentlemen?

SOOOOO PISSSSED AT MYSELF!!!!!!!

Any News?

Not sure what in the motor you would have fried... Would assume tranny or t case issues, but motor should have oiled itself while turning over, but perhaps not enough?

I hope not too severe :cool:

We all make mistakes right? :censored: sucks... but they do happen to the best of us...

~ JR

Had a mechanic look at it. Took his stethoscope and found it was a blown exhaust AND intake gasket. He speculated that the gaskets at that point were weak all along and towing it at high RPM along with pushing raw fuel helped to erode the weak point. He said it was just a matter of time before it went anyway. He said the hammer sound is a phenomenon that occurs under certain conditions. He had a technical term for it but blew past my ears. LOL. Hunting season is looking a lot more hopeful at this point.

Don't know why I didn't think about the fuel pumping in being a problem:confused::confused:

I am glad it is looking to be a doable fix for ya :chug:

~ JR

Well got my gasket set. Now the ugly part of taking :dung: apart to install the new ones. At least I have a well insulated garage to work on it in. Need to play Alice Cooper- WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE on the cd player. Too bad I outgrew that and got rid of that recording. Guess a little Clint Black may help. LOL

grrrr

An exhaust leak can make an engine sound like it's coming apart...
Definitely change your oil and just for safety sake, maybe put a little oil in each cylinder....because you most certainly gas washed the cylinder walls if raw fuel went through the carb.

Darby MT huh? I was born and raised in Victor...just up the road. I miss the country. :chug:

Well got my gasket set. Now the ugly part of taking :dung: apart to install the new ones. At least I have a well insulated garage to work on it in. Need to play Alice Cooper- WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE on the cd player. Too bad I outgrew that and got rid of that recording. Guess a little Clint Black may help. LOL

grrrr
you can't out grow Alice:punk: but I guess tastes in music can.

Just got done doing the Intake and Exhaust Gaskets myself while doing the Howel EFI up-grade. The Intake was fairly straight forward after getting the serpentine belt and power steering pump off then removal was OK (I saved the bolts and washers in an old coffee can).
My problems came when getting the Header Pipe installed. After cutting the Muffler Clamp loose it was allot easier. I decided to replace the Catalytic Converter, Muffler and Tailpipe while I was at it.
Here is our Coach, post a pic of yours (sorry this is the wife's car and not the CJ7 ).:driving:

Attachments

• vacation 09 389.jpg
    vacation 09 389.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 323

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom