Rear End went out

Rear End went out
Thanks
1980 Jeep CJ5 . AMC 304 AMC

Rear end had been banging and binding on turns etc.

Finally made the final loud bang and lost drive.

Drive-shaft will spin but nothing happens, oil was dripping out of rear diff. Unlocked the rear Warn hubs, and put it in 4Hi to get home.

Whats happened and how much $ am I looking at?

Also the jeep is regeared but I have no idea what it has in it. Its on 35's

Also can I make my 2 mile commute to School in 4hi?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Drive-shaft will spin but nothing happens, oil was dripping out of rear diff. Unlocked the rear Warn hubs, and put it in 4Hi to get home.

4H is still gona spin the driveshaft in the rear even though your hubs are free I would say NO to the commute, There are chunks of metal floating around in your diff and will only do more damage if you continue to drive.
May only be the spider gears at this point and not ring and pinion, destroy ring and pinion too and $ will go up big.

4H is still gona spin the driveshaft in the rear even though your hubs are free I would say NO to the commute, There are chunks of metal floating around in your diff and will only do more damage if you continue to drive.
May only be the spider gears at this point and not ring and pinion, destroy ring and pinion too and $ will go up big.

What kind of prices should I be getting for something like this?

It was very loud, lot of oil coming out, and smoking rear diff. I was really getting on the gas.

So no go for my commute.

So no go for my commute.

If it were an emergency, I'd say disconnect the drive line to the read diff, and yes baby it home, But as a daily commute, it will most likely cause some un-wanted side issues, digging you a deeper hole... Mostly depending on how long and at what speeds you are planning to do this...

This is all hearsay over years of listening to old stories of my Grandpa, so personally I'd listen more to the respected established Jeepers on here if they say otherwise...

Good Luck... Take the diff cover off and you'll probably be able to spot exactly what broke, and from there get an idea on what your looking at spending...

:chug:

I would park it till I found out what happened, no since in making it worse than it is now.
Take the cover off and see what ya got.

Found a donor AMC20 for mine.
Whats a fair price?

Also I need to figure out what gearing I have. I know it isnt stock.

Tips?
Tips? Yes, don't buy anything until you take the diff cover off and see what is broken. If you purchase a diff with the wrong gear ratio, you will still have to swap out (or pay to) the carrier, gears, bearing and other things.

To accurately tell what gear you have you need to pull the diff cover an give us the ring gear code.

Tips? Yes, don't buy anything until you take the diff cover off and see what is broken. If you purchase a diff with the wrong gear ratio, you will still have to swap out (or pay to) the carrier, gears, bearing and other things.

To accurately tell what gear you have you need to pull the diff cover an give us the ring gear code.

^^What he said^^

2iqxvuw.jpg

161jh9x.jpg

2edvbet.jpg

Spider gears???? Tons of metal from them

Yeah. Ring and pinion looks good from what I saw. Found out the fluid was coming from a small hole it put in the diff cover, but still had tons of gravy in the diff

Those pics were pretty dark. I enhanced one and converted it to gray scale for clarification purposes... :)

attachment.php

:chug: :punk:

how many teeth on the ring? on the pinion?:cool:

I would be very concerned with the pinion bearings, problem is to get a good look at them requires taking them out so at the very least you would want to pull out the carrier and clean the case and remaining pinion well with solvent or similar then with the driveshaft disco'd spin the pinion and see what it feels and sounds like. Carrier bearings should be replaced while it's out.

So how much should I pay for installing spider gears?

As long as (if)the pinion bearing is good, why not do it yourself. Just keep the shims straight when you take the carrier out. It"s not a hard job.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom