Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep CJ-7
4 speed, 258ci.
Pretty much stock.
Bought from the OG owner 100k miles
32X11.50-15 BFG ATs.
1966 Vw Beetle "Cal look"(o\!/o)
1963 logoed panel VW
2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner DC (Daily Driver)
Replacing wheel cylinders and pass side is stuck. Is there a secret to this?

tn

Sitting and waiting.:confused:

Its the rear. I do not know what to call it. it is what the wheel bolts to . and is held on by a castle nut with cotter pin.

you got the drivers side off?? :eek:WOW I don't know anybody that got one of those off with out a torch and a sledge hammer. I don't think you need to remove that to change the wheel cylinders. Just remove the brake line and the two bolts that hold it on the back side of the plate and it should come right off.
If you did get the drivers side off it may be a good time to think about a one piece axle upgrade.:cool:

I use a piece of angle iron with holes drilled in it. I bolt the angle to the hub then let it press into the ground and use a long breaker bar with a pipe cheater bar to brake them loose. The same way I do on bugs.

I say this assuming your doing brakes also and not just wheel cyl. which the cyl. can be pulled like stated above by IO.

Last edited:
Drivers side came right off. Nut was not tight and if the cotter pin was not in it would have prob. came off. Have not driven on road yet since I got it. I wanted to change the brakes hardware and cylinders but I guess I will just do the cylinders. Also will the pins that go into the cylinders and push the shoes out come out and go in without removing the shoes?

Ps. nut is off....Hub is stuck.
pss. I am calling the thing the 3arm puller is on in the pic above the hub.

Last edited:
I still do not understand why you would need to remove the hub to do a brake job.
When you put the nut back on use the longest brake over bar and a cheater pipe to tighten it. the torque used on this is more than 100 ft/lbs I think.:cool:

I guess I can try it without removing it. I just get a little nervious when it comes to messing with the brakes.

Last edited:
Do you have a service manual?? If not you better get one, read the brakes section and read it again. It is pretty basic stuff but the first time can be a B***h.:wtf:
And you are right, you don't want to end up with a box of "extra parts".

Re: Rear hub will not come off.HELP!!!!!

changed the rear brakes and cylinders on my Beetle but there were alot fewer parts.
I do not have a manual. that is also one reason I wanted to remove the hub. For one to look at so I can put the other back together. Does anyone have an exploded view of the brakes? 1984 rear.

Last edited:
mine is an 83 but they should be the same, heres both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 124
Perfect! Thanks OD & IO.
Next comes the Front pads and rotors. I am just learning some things as I go. I am not a car noob but I am a jeep one.:D

Last edited:
I ended up buying a hub puller I got so frustrated, I do not advise such, they are around 300 bucks, but you can rent them

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom