reverse grind?

reverse grind?

cjnewbie

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7 360 3 speed
so i finaly got the motor done and in the jeep lastnight and got to drive it for the first time today ,but reverse seams a little crappy if you put it in gear realy slow it grinds some but if you just put it in it seams ok is the reverse gear a straight cut gear and is this part of the grinding or is it just worn ? other than that i love my first jeep !!!!!!!!

man see so much to learn LOL ya it is a 79 CJ7 now with a 360 and the three speed also any idea what gear ratio would have been stock in mine or atleast the most common? now that i know every thing seams to work i plan to pull the diff covers this weakend to change fluid and check things but just wondering what should be in it

It could be just about anything - probably a 3.31, 3.54 or right around there. Unless you can find the build sheet you never know what was in it, and since you have a 360 - you never know what may have been swapped. There may be a stamping or a tag on the diff also.

When you put the cover, just look for a number like 4313 (3.31 ratio) or 3911 (3.54 ratio). This the number or teeth on the ring gear (43) and the number on the pinion (13).

43 / 13 = 3.31

i have the same grinding unless i put it in first then reverse.
how do you know what tranny you have?? i was told it was a T-18 idk tho.,
i do know i have a 4 spd granny 1st, and it looks like it has a pto cover?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom