Rim Question

Rim Question

Canadian CJ 7

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Current Setup 1985 Jeep CJ-258, 6cyl -T-5 5spd 273 gears.
Hi Guys, I am not sure what stock rim size I have on my 1985 Jeep CJ7 . I currently have a stock original Outlaw style rim that came with my CJ. I would like to replace them with a set of chrome Nomad style (wagon wheel) type that came stock with the older CJ's. I currently have 31X10.5 tires and plan on keeping them. What size of 15 inch rim would work with my tires, 15X7, 15X8, 15x10? I would like to know the proper size rim that would work before I order them? Thanks for your help. :chug:

Brian

Attachments

• Nomad Rims.jpg
    Nomad Rims.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 752
The 7" would be the best, 8" would work. If you go with the 7" if you stay with the 10.5" tire.

Last edited:
Old Dog is right on. Your Cj should have come with a 7in. wide wheel stock. Your 31x10.5 will fit nicely on a 7in. wheel. Just an Fyi those wheels don't have the holes tapped for original style Jeep center caps if that's what you want. You'll have to use aftermarket style ones that are sandwiched between the wheel and the drum. Just grab the ones that are right for your wheel of choice like the Cragar ones in the pic.

Thanks for your speedy replies. :) 15X7 rim 5X5.5 bolt pattern should do the trick. Wasn't too sure, so I thought I would ask the experts here. :notworthy:

Brian

Just to muddy the water, I would recommend the 8's. mostly for the extra off set. and if larger /wider is on the horizon, it is still on the table.

Just to muddy the water, I would recommend the 8's. mostly for the extra off set. and if larger /wider is on the horizon, it is still on the table.

Go for 8's if I plan on going to 33's X10.5 or wider? They would still work with my 31 X 10.5 that I have now?

Brian

I think IO ment if you ever plan on going to a 12.5 wide tire you would want a 8" wheel.
You have wide trak axles in your jeep so you really don't need the extra offset, like he would with his narrow trak axles.
I'm sure he will correct me if I misunderstod him.:D

I think IO ment if you ever plan on going to a 12.5 wide tire you would want a 8" wheel.
You have wide trak axles in your jeep so you really don't need the extra offset, like he would with his narrow trak axles.
I'm sure he will correct me if I misunderstod him.:D

Thanks Old Dog. 10.5 is as wide as I want to go. I am happy with the 31's, just like the older style Nomad (Wagon Wheel) CJ rims better than my stock Outlaw style that came with the newer CJ's

I like the way your thinking. ;) He set the parameters though. Of course Jeeps just keep evolving dont they??? :chug:

I have the stock wheels and are 15x8 with 31 x 10.5 BFG AT's .
Here we go with the CRS thing but Jeep used 15 x 7 wagon in the earlier CJ then went to 15 x 8 with the wide track or the other way? Any how I have a narrow track with the 8's and all is well, Oh ya the have 4" backspace on the stockers.

This is a tough one, dog you make an excellent point, He really doesn't need the width. So the question is, is there a problem generated by the wider track? It's good to be stable and wide is stable. that was the reason to put wide axles on. can the tires be covered by fender flairs?? can they with the 8"wheels? some place there is a chart with the offset to width ratios. Canuk its your call pal, its yours, is being wider a problem?? I still think you should leave the options all open if you can, tomorrow is another day and the world is gonna turn.
what is the definition of a "low rider"?? a high ratio of width to height, or low ratio of height to width, which ever, this could be like the next fad, to be called a "wide rider"??:D:D

Canuk its your call pal, its yours, is being wider a problem?? I still think you should leave the options all open if you can, tomorrow is another day and the world is gonna turn.

7" or 8" either one will work with the 10.5 tire. But as other people have said if a 12.5 is in the future anytime down the road you will need the 8" rim.:chug:

Hi, new Jeeper here in the UK and feeling my way around things!
I just bought new US Wheels chrome 8 spoke 7" x 15"rims (-6mm offset) for my '81 CJ7 Laredo thinking that the stock rims fitted to my jeep were 7". However and having measured (a bit late now I know!) the stock rims are 8". I have 31 x 10.5 AT tyres. From the replies below it seems that the tyres will be fine on the new rims. What I need to find out is whether the handling/stability will still be ok on the narrower rims ( being an '81 I think that my Jeep has the early narrower axles).
Any thoughts gratefully received; many thanks.

Hi, new Jeeper here in the UK and feeling my way around things!
I just bought new US Wheels chrome 8 spoke 7" x 15"rims (-6mm offset) for my '81 CJ7 Laredo thinking that the stock rims fitted to my jeep were 7". However and having measured (a bit late now I know!) the stock rims are 8". I have 31 x 10.5 AT tyres. From the replies below it seems that the tyres will be fine on the new rims. What I need to find out is whether the handling/stability will still be ok on the narrower rims ( being an '81 I think that my Jeep has the early narrower axles).
Any thoughts gratefully received; many thanks.
the sevens will work with the 10.5s, but not a 12.5

Thanks Baja. Any thoughts on the stability question by using the 7" rims with the narrow axles?

Not apro
Thanks Baja. Any thoughts on the stability question by using the 7" rims with the narrow axles?

Not a problem, just remember your footprint is narrower than a wide track or a modern jeep so pick different lines.practice running over bthings with the frnt tires. That way you know where they are.

the evolution of your CJ will never stop ...
I was gona stay stock since then have added the following:
lift,locker,tires, rims,winch,ECT! ECT! gears are next...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom