Rookie transmission work

Rookie transmission work

stevenalex

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 - 258 cu inline 6, T-18 trans 5 spd,
'10 Wrangler V6
My wife and I recently purchased a 1978 CJ5 and we are overhauling the Transfer Case and Transmission . We bought the manual and have followed steps to the T. The problem we are having is that we cannot remove the Transfer Case from the Transmission . We have cleaned it and see several locking nuts holding the Transfer Case to the Transmission . I have tried several tools and am having no luck removing any of the nuts. Can anyone assist this rookie?

Hello stevenalex and welcome to our site! :chug:

I'm assuming you have a T-150 and a Dana 20 correct? I'm confused by what you mean by the term 'several locking nuts'? You should be able to just remove the 6 (I think it's six) bolts where the Transfer Case mounts to the Transmission and pull them apart.

Take a look at this page -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/transmission-transfer-case-variants-types-cjs-53-86-a-134/

I also circled in red where the bolts are in this image.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dana-20-transfer-case.jpg
    dana-20-transfer-case.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4,831
I appreciate the help with the diagram, we finally removed the Transfer Case with a dolly lift and some elbow grease with a set of channel locks. We got both the Transfer Case and Transmission off, now our next step is to get a quote on how much it will cost us to replace the low gears on the Transmission , the teeth are pretty much shot, and I don't know if the two of us will have the patience to disassemble the Transmission all the way down. Again thanks for the help

Well I'll agree with you a little bit about this being easy, the question is will I have the patience to rebuild the Transmission . We have disassembled the Transfer Case , cleaned it and enamel painted it to prevent rust. As for rebuilding the Transmission , the only thing that looks like it needs work is the low gears. I'll attempt to disassemble and post pictures. Looking at price range of no more than $500. We are going to price shop this week around the local area to see what we can get. Me personally I want to do the work myself only because I'll know what's wrong with it. Now my confusion is on the older models, everything I have researched for a Transmission is for a 3 speed, my wife claims that our CJ is a four speed. Is the fourth gear an Overdrive gear?

We have a T-18 -1B, I can't tell on the serial, it's a little worn but it looks like 2477 or 3477. I already had the Transfer Case fully disassembled and soaking the gears to clean off the gunk build up. I should have it all back together in the next few days. Also, we have cleaned the Transmission off and it is looking like we may not have to totally rebuild the low gears. I took a mini pressure washer to the gears and air dried them and they look much better than before. I think all of the soot build up was throwing us off. I had a few buddies over this weekend and we think it is the forks on the shifter housing that need to be replaced. I am going to do some high cleaning on the inside of the housing and see if that helps at all. I also posted a pic of the one eyed cyclops to give a full shot of what she looks like. I have started to strip her down to prep for painting, unfortunately i broke my angle grinder while taking off a :dung: load of bondo off the hood. Over the weekend we went from bad to not too shabby, so we'll keep our fingers crossed when we put everything back up in the week or so.

Attachments

• 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 503
  • 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 313
Almost forgot about the one eyed cyclops thing. We have a bad electrical issue, when the headlights are on the blinkers don't work. So I am trying to chase down the short, and instead of doing it the right way I tried to take a short cut and just look inside the headlights to see if I could find the short. But the electrical issue is on the back burner till we finish the undercarriage.

Very nice... Looks like your making good progress.

Did you get a master rebuild kit? The one from Novak is great and has all you need to put that T-18 back together. -->> Parts for the T18 & T19 Transmissions

We didn't get the master rebuild kit only because initially we were only going to change out the gaskets and hope everything was good. When we started to breakdown the Transfer Case we saw a lot of build up on the gears, but still good to go. On the Transmission , the fourth gear is pretty worn down, but other than that it looks in good shape. We also thought the low gears were worn down, but after we cleaned them up it was just grime build up from over the years. Now the issue we are having is that we think the shift forks are worn and now are praying that it why it was sticky putting into third gear. Hopefully when we put everything back together and refill all the fluids we will be ok, but only time will tell.

I'm just curious how this project turned out and if you were to do it all over again, what would you do differently?

You head light vs blinker problem is in the turn switch wiring in the steering column, when you are ready to deal with that part send me a note or do a post and I can help you through it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom