sbc 350 / sm465 / Np208 / Keep or Scrap ?

sbc 350 / sm465 / Np208 / Keep or Scrap ?

elwoodsplace

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 Cj7, 83 Blazer K10,
I am building a 84 CJ7 , SOA(stock springs), Dana 30 front, AMC20 rear.
I am wanting to use a sbc 350/sm465/NP208, Pulled from a early to mid 80s GM 3/4t truck.
?Question is,
Has anyone done this build with the stock wheelbase?
If yes, Do you have any Info and/or Pics/links you can share?
The Rear Drive shaft angle is just stupid High and short.
Should I swap the Transfer Case or Transfer Case and Transmission .

elwoodsplace

Hello elwoodsplace and welcome to our site! :chug: !

I do not know of anyone who has done that build but I'm sure that you'll get a reply from someone who has made the swap soon!

Great to have you here! :)

Hello :)

Whats with the Elwood thing? Is it too late to change Bubba's name?

That set up (or one like it) is used quite often and yes the driveshaft angle is very severe but most use a double CV shaft like the ones made by Tom Woods or any other driveline companies. Me I like the manual trannies myself.

I was goin to say as long as you don't lift it, it should work out OK. But I re-read your post and saw you have a SOA setup. I think I'd trade that auto in for a manual tranny.

I was goin to say as long as you don't lift it, it should work out OK. But I re-read your post and saw you have a SOA setup. I think I'd trade that auto in for a manual tranny.

The SM465 is a Manual Transmission . its the 208 that seems to be a Giant.
My new purches are not yet welled, and I left the old ones in place,
So Going back to a SUA is not out of the Picture, But would it even matter going Back to the SUA.

So Going back to a SUA is not out of the Picture, But would it even matter going Back to the SUA.

Boy I did read that wrong, didn't I?? :laugh: I got autos on the brain....Trying to find one for the truck I'm picking up this weekend.

Boy I did read that wrong, didn't I?? :laugh: I got autos on the brain....Trying to find one for the truck I'm picking up this weekend.
I love the Manual granny gear trannys...I wish I could find a T-18 around here for a reasonable price when I have the $$, normally its the other way around!

:laugh: Yea that'll work! I'll just reach around and pull it out of my...oops never mind! :laugh:

Nah, the wife just booked her annual trip to see family, so my account is drained for a while! No Jeep funds for me!

Back on topic, I used to race against a CJ5 that had one of those large Chevy combos in it. I remember his driveshaft was about 6" long. He didnt run any lift that I remember, but he clearanced the body enough to fit 34" tires on it, IIRC. Worked pretty good but I still out-ran him most of the time! >)

OK so Im thinking know one has Pulled off this set up before.
sbc350/sm465/np208. with a SOA on stock Wheelbase.
And that would make it that much sweeter for me to do.
But for now I am looking at swapping the 208 for a Dana 20 or Dana 300 Transfer Case .
I know this has been done, But does anyone have pics and measurments of the set-up? Rear Drive shaft measurments? Links to the build?
Anyone in Az, Want to trade for a NP208 or have a Dana 20 or 300 For sale.

I am building a 84 CJ7 , SOA(stock springs), Dana 30 front, AMC20 rear.
I am wanting to use a sbc 350/sm465/NP208, Pulled from a early to mid 80s GM 3/4t truck.
?Question is,
Has anyone done this build with the stock wheelbase?
If yes, Do you have any Info and/or Pics/links you can share?
The Rear Drive shaft angle is just stupid High and short.
Should I swap the Transfer Case or Transfer Case and Transmission .

elwoodsplace

You might want to checkout BigDsCJ7 build, if I remember right he was going to use the 208 tc.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom