sbc on engine stand

sbc on engine stand

mhubacek

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
WR450F, 68' CJ-5, 72' CJ-5, F250 POWERSTROKE
After pressure washing the frame of my new 68' CJ5 project, I noticed that whomever had the jeep before me didn't bolt the Transmission down to the crossmember. He just put a thick steel block under it, and bolted it to the 76 sbc 305. After realizing this I decided to pull everything. I pulled the motor and tranny (T-90 ) this weekend for my first ever engine pulling experience. It went rather easy, until I tried to mount the engine to the stand. There seems to be a large gear and cover preventing me from mounting it. Does it need to be removed, or do I need longer spacers for my stand? It is the gearing that fits inside my Bell-Housing. Any input for this newbie would greatly help!

That would be the clutch plate, and the gear is the flywheel.
Yes, you have to remove those, along with finding longer bolts that fit the length of your engine stand arms, and match the threaded holes on your block. The stock bellhousing bolts are not long enough to work.

Good luck on your project! Ask whatever ?? you have along the way, someone here will help out!

Hello mhubacek and welcome to our site! :chug:

What MyLCJ5 said is exactly correct (as usual :) )...

Here are some pics I found on the WEB.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• chevyonstand.jpg
    chevyonstand.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,628
  • chevystand2.jpg
    chevystand2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,446
Thanks alot for the pictures and help. I've been looking all over the internet trying to find the step by step pictures like those you sent. I pulled the fly-wheel and clutch plate last night, now it all makes sense. Will my 1000 lb "H" style stand be enough for my 305, or should I pull the heads and intake off first. I considered keeping it from tipping by leaving it loosely attached to my engine hoist as well while it's sitting on the stand. (As a back up)

Last edited:
the H-stand is the better of the bunch, so have no worries it will hold your SBC engine. I've had quite a few BB Fords on my stands and they never tried to tip over. Try not to roll it too much over cracks in the concrete, that could upset the apple cart.
Also, when you tear into the engine, disassemble the top of the engine (heads intake) first, then roll it to do the bottom. That way it won't be so top-heavy and you will be able to control the roll of the engine (don't ask how and when I learned that little trick! :laugh:)

Thanks again, joining this site is surely going to make this project easier!

Great to hear that...

Just make sure to put in the lock bolt or tighten the lock screw when ever you are working on the engine. Don't want it flip on you suddenly... :)

If you ever do end up buying a new stand - get one with a rotating crank - it makes turning those engines over with the heads on easy as can be! :)

JEGS 80059 JEGS Rotating Engine Stand

attachment.php

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 3,476
CJ thats one nice stand. Mine looks so 1970's compared to that one.:D

CJ thats one nice stand. Mine looks so 1970's compared to that one.:D
I personally don't own that stand but we have one at our shop... :)

My next one will be like that though! For the price it is well worth the safety you get from the crank! Turning a BB Chevy on a regular stand is NO FUN!

I personally don't own that stand but we have one at our shop... :)

My next one will be like that though! For the price it is well worth the safety you get from the crank! Turning a BB Chevy on a regular stand is NO FUN!

yep, i normally have to hook my engine hoist to the engine to flip it back upright. Those BB Fords are heavy dudes!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom