SBC Question

SBC Question

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Is there any "tells" to help me differentiate between the differnt versions of the small block Chevy? Im takin a peek at a cheap Jeep project sometime this week but the guy only knows its a small block chevy. Id like to be able to tell if its a 350 / 327 / 307 / 305 / 283 or what. Heres a pic he sent me but I dont think it'll do much good.

depending on how old the block is most sbc blocks have the displacement cast on the bellhouseing flange on the drivers side if you just look behind the valve cover on the flang it should say 5.0 or 5.7 witch is a 305 or a 350

Thanx. I'll look there when I check it out. Could be another $600 Salvage CJ7 . :D

I couldn't find a displacment flange on my late 70's sbc 305 v8. But here are some pics of my casting numbers and their locations. I'm not a sbc expert, but I originally identified my engine by taking the casting numbers off the intake manifold (Original Cast Iron Only) and searching what intake manifold casting #'s fit what engines/years. Not the most accurate way, but if you can't seem to locate any numbers the intake is easiest to get ahold of. Good Luck

Thanx for the info. That should help.
I couldn't find a displacment flange on my late 70's sbc 305 v8. But here are some pics of my casting numbers and their locations. I'm not a sbc expert, but I originally identified my engine by taking the casting numbers off the intake manifold (Original Cast Iron Only) and searching what intake manifold casting #'s fit what engines/years. Not the most accurate way, but if you can't seem to locate any numbers the intake is easiest to get ahold of. Good Luck

Pete, on some of the older blocks there is a number on a pad at the front edge of the block under the right cylinder head. some also have a number at the rear side by the oil filter. All these numbers will have to be decoded, the local jy or engine builder should do it for you on the phone.
I even had a 305 that had 305 cast into the side of the block, I wish they were all that simple like amc was.

355909 is a 305 from 1976-1985
If this motor was made in 1975 it would have been a 262cid for the same engine code.

"G ? 76" means it was cast in June of 1976 The Question mark I cannot read but that is the day of the month.

The "T" stand for Tonowanda which is the plant it was made at.

The motor had 140hp and 245ft lbs of torque with 8.5-1 compression ratio.

Basically this V8 swap was null because the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l had the same power specs. The only good side was the motor is lighter.

Thanx. It snowed today so Im hoping to get a peek at it tomorrow.
Pete, on some of the older blocks there is a number on a pad at the front edge of the block under the right cylinder head. some also have a number at the rear side by the oil filter. All these numbers will have to be decoded, the local jy or engine builder should do it for you on the phone.
I even had a 305 that had 305 cast into the side of the block, I wish they were all that simple like amc was.

And this is the main reason for me looking at what it has. It wont make any sense for me to put alot of work into a Jeep with a 305 like you explained here. I plan on grabbing my old CJ7 back anyway. Its just that these Chevy motors are starting to appeal to me more and more lately.
355909 is a 305 from 1976-1985
If this motor was made in 1975 it would have been a 262cid for the same engine code.

"G ? 76" means it was cast in June of 1976 The Question mark I cannot read but that is the day of the month.

The "T" stand for Tonowanda which is the plant it was made at.

The motor had 140hp and 245ft lbs of torque with 8.5-1 compression ratio.

Basically this V8 swap was null because the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l had the same power specs. The only good side was the motor is lighter.

I wouldn't totally count the 305 out, I had an early 90's Camaro a few years back w/305 and cross fire injection and that thing stock was scary fast. And just for the record I was going to say it was a 305...:D. Oh and Pete how close are you to getting your old Jeep back?

Once the Income tax return is here I'll have my CJ7 back , thats a done deal. The wife and I were hashing it out and it looks like my next $$ expenditure is a washer / dryer. :( So between that and the new King size matress I just bought Im passing on this one. It used to have 35s on it but it still has the stock springs. Lift was achieved with a large body lift and whacky shackles. Im going to start researching SBC conversions and see if I wanna go that way. Then maybe I'll put something new in the Scrambler. :D
I wouldn't totally count the 305 out, I had an early 90's Camaro a few years back w/305 and cross fire injection and that thing stock was scary fast. And just for the record I was going to say it was a 305...:D. Oh and Pete how close are you to getting your old Jeep back?

Basically this V8 swap was null because the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l had the same power specs.
The only good side was the motor is lighter.

id argue this point happily :)

a v8 has more potential as there is no replacement for displacement... much easier to get 250+hp and 300+ftlbs out of a 305cid v8 than it is those same numbers from an inline 6 [not to mention much cheaper]

stock with all the horrid emissions controls of the late 70's... yes - a 305 is a dog...

but a few aftermarket bits - better fuel delivery [intake and carb] - open the heads up, quality ignition and a matched exhaust... and you've got a little fire breathing beast on your hands

you can tune it for high hp, high torque... whatever...

not to mention the veritable smorgasbord of quality aftermarket parts for the sbc

all in all, it's always a good idea to have a sbc laying around to play with :)

I wasn't referring to potential because I am with you all the way on that. I was referring only to the current set up as he showed it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom