Scout axles or not?

Scout axles or not?

zerkle76

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ-5, 232-6, T150 3spd, bone stock with 58,000 miles.
72 Ford Maverick Grabber 302 auto 1 owner also.
I have aquired a 78 CJ5 that is all stock, and has the AMC 232 i6 -6 and a T-150 Transmission . The floor of the tub is shot front to back and the pass rear fame is very thin. I am getting a set of drum brake scout axles for FREE!!!, but they are in unknown condition. That means I don't know how the brakes, axle joints or anything and nobody knows the years of them either. The Jeep runs and drives great, and I don't do aggressive of roading by any means. My ideal jeep would be a 2" spring lift, and 31" MTRs. So I don't know if I should sell the axles to pay for the sheet metal to fix the tub and frame, or just patch the frame, make wider mounts for the axles and do a SOA and work on the tub later. I do want to drive this to work occasionally and that is a 7 mile hwy drive. Any thoughts????

With 31's a SOA lift would look retarded and be too high. Also the stock axles would be a better choice for that tire size. You would be money ahead by just dropping in some one piece rear axles shafts and fixing up your brakes. The front Scout axle needs alot of work to fit it to your Jeep. Not only with the spring mounting issues but also the Scout axles has 0 degree of casters because they ran Bias Ply tires. you will need to cut and rotate the knuckles for the proper 5 to 8 degrees of caster angle. The Dana 30 is a fine axle for the 31's.

^^^What he said^^^
For 31" tires the axles that are in it is fine.
I'd do the 2" sua and work on the body.

^^ what they said
:cool:

What they are saying ^^^^^^^^^is the right way :chug:
Have you did a little searching and found out where to look for, read and ID the axles BOM number ?

An educated seller will be able to describe his product in detail. Thus be able toi sell his product easier and with perhaps for more $$

Ok, thanks for all you help. I just received the Scout axles and I was wrong. The front axle has disc brakes, but they are 3.07 gears. I think I am going to try and sell them so I can buy some patch panels, and get 1 piece axles later.:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom