Brakes screaming brakes

Brakes screaming brakes

Warren Attard

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7 258 T5
Hi Dear All,

I am having this problem that when I press the brake pedal, the brakes screams so loud that it sounds like I stopped a vehicle while moving at 100mph.
Even if I am driving at 20km and I press the brakes,.. the brakes will scream loud, that makes me shy from passers by.

My mechanic told me it could be accumulated dust between the pads and discs however the pads are not that old, so I'm kind of sceptic whether this is the problem. I might be mistaken but the sound is more likely to be coming more from rear.

I am not sure if it done the same prior changing the brake pads, since I've been working on the car since i got it with too many long intervals

So any suggestions or feedback of what could be causing this loud scream?
I now put a brake booster, but was doing the same also before the brake booster.

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you still have the disc brakes in front and the drums in the rear. Curious if the "screaming" is a metal-on-metal type sound or something else. Your front disc brakes have a "squeaker" tab that alerts you when the pads have worn down enough. A metal-on-metal type sound could be these "squeakers" rubbing, which is planned for and you just need new pads at this point. Other type "screaming" or odd noise could be due to glazed pads (worn mirror finish on the surface) due to overheating or riding the brakes in repeated stop-and-go traffic type usage. Could also be rusted rotors that need cleaning/turning.

For the rear drum brakes, check for worn shoes obviously. But could also be a foreign object like a stone or other debris got into the drum.

A good visual inspection with tires and drums off and you might find the problem.

As I said the sound is like when you are driving fast down the road and you press the pedal with a sudden braking,.. you know that sound?
Many cars do this sound when they brake suddenly at high speed.

The problem with mine is that it does this sound also when braking at slow speed.
It annoys me and it scares those around the jeep.

I remember that I bought a new set of drums which are now installed on it but initially where heating up and after investigation i found them a bit out of round and had to take them to the machine shop to hone them down.

They did not heat that much to become out of round,. i believe it was a factory defect. So I guess I should take another go with a new set of drums and brake pads....

Sounds like typical pads without anti noise clips or anti noise gel.
Can you get pictures of your front setup? It's highly unlikely the sound is coming from the rear drums.
One thing I have done before is with the front and rear axls supported on jack stands is get the wheels turning while dragging the brakes.
Should be able to determine where the issue is.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom