Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Jeep Cj5 Renegade
I258 1987 Engine
Aisin Warner Ax15 Transmission
Dana 300 Transfer Case

I just started putting a different AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine(87) in my 1980 jeep CJ5 which has the serpentine setup and I do not have a condenser/ac pump. I do not have a pulley wheel or tensioner for above the alternator and since I didn not have this setup before(V-Belts) I am not sure exactly what I need to make this work. A pulley wheel or a tensioner?

This engine is from a YJ and I am also not sure if the wheel will get in the way of the radiator top hose. Has anyone had to do this or know what I need?

looks like your belt works with the ac eqquiped motor the only thing that i see that you will need is a belt tensioner and you should be rolling:chug:

I see the Idler pulley but how do I mount it? Do I need to get a whole setup from a junkyard or is it a kit.

This is ThisGuyYouKnows 4.0 conversion to AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and probly no help but when he gets online maybe he will have some input.IMG_0179.jpg

Sorry about that, you may have to scavage one from a pull a part, or check with Napa. I was just looking for the idler, not the bracketry. That should be easily sourced.

Are serpentine belts available in 3/8" increments or such like a v belt is or does he need ALL the original equipment for it to wind it's way around?
Obviously all serpentine jeeps did'nt come with ac but maybe they have an idler in it's place?
If you could get your hands(or eyes) on a FSM for 87+- they will show you the belt layout or layouts if that be the case, I know with 78 their are at least 6 dif belt combinations depending on if it had this or that and if it was a Ca. jeep is was dif. still cuse the air pump was there.

Are serpentine belts available in 3/8" increments or such like a v belt is or does he need ALL the original equipment for it to wind it's way around?
Obviously all serpentine jeeps did'nt come with ac but maybe they have an idler in it's place?
If you could get your hands(or eyes) on a FSM for 87+- they will show you the belt layout or layouts if that be the case, I know with 78 their are at least 6 dif belt combinations depending on if it had this or that and if it was a Ca. jeep is was dif. still cuse the air pump was there.

Thats where a trip to the library would be beneficial. Most libraries carry the manuals, and he would be able find the info. Also, in 87 it became the wrangler, with only two engine options, and an a/c or non a/c option. That. or find someone ith the 87 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and pop the hood. There may be someone on here with one that will be checking in.

This is ThisGuyYouKnows 4.0 conversion to AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and probly no help but when he gets online maybe he will have some input.IMG_0179.jpg

Hey that serp setup there is pretty slick lol

Not sure if can be useful to you as far as the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l setup goes. Do you have a u pullit nearby you? If so your best bet for finding serp parts would be a 90s Cherokee. Beforei.did the 4.0 stuff I looked intothe AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l serp I just couldn't find donors.

If you want to go pull some parts from a.junker cherokee to experiment with I may be able to help u convert to the newer style serp...

Here is the diagram form the FSM for serp belts up to 86.

belts.JPG

Here is one for 89

Serp%201989.JPG

Last edited:
looking at your engine setup currently.... does either the alternator or PS pump pivot on its bracket? I know with the 91 cherokee setup I swapped on instead of using an idler to tension the belt it just uses the ps pump

The alternator pivots before you bolt it down. Doesn't the tensioner apply tension that has spring to hold it? Can you have solid tension with a serp belt? That would be great but I do not have a clue if you could do that with a serp or if it needs the ability has spring to pull on the belt. . .

The alternator pivots before you bolt it down. Doesn't the tensioner apply tension that has spring to hold it? Can you have solid tension with a serp belt? That would be great but I do not have a clue if you could do that with a serp or if it needs the ability has spring to pull on the belt. . .
You sure can! Look at the pic of mine. I pulled that straight off the a 1991 and it does not have a spring loaded tensioner it uses the ps pump to tension the line.
I would almost be willing to bet money that your setup did not have a spring loaded tensioner. Maybe if your setup had AC that bracket woulkd have a tensioner but it looks to me that you have a clear enough shot to everything that if you can pivot the alty you should be able to tension a belt on your setup.

i JUST took a closer look at your pics again a little more closely and it looks like you have the ac bracket..... You probably should find a compressor to use as a place holder. I can't be sure but it looks like the same compressor that my xj set up works so you may be able to find one at the pick and pull easily. But it looks that if you had the ac then that belt you have would fit.

Well if I can make my setup work without a tensioner that would be the best option so I am gonna go for that for now. I wasn't sure that it was possible without a tensioner but I'm gonna give it a try I think. Otherwise I will have to find a ac compressor to get it goin. Thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom