Serpntine Alternator question

Serpntine Alternator question

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
When I put in my 4.0 injection I want to go ahead and piece together a serpentine set up at the pick in pull since I will need to change the power steering pump to work with the intake any way. When I do this should I just swap in an alternator from a 4.0 donor or just switch the pulpy on my original alternator or should I upgrad to a different alternator?

I have a winch, and electric fan, and then of course will have to power the new injection components....

Also do you think I could just switch the pullys on the ac compressor instead of swaping in a 90s compressor?

Kinda confused, are you changing the direction of the alternator spin?

Well no if I am correct since both the alternator and compressor are on the left side of the water pump they should spinthe same direction v-belt or serpent... It's water pump that has to be switched out cause it spins the opposite direction.

Last edited:
jeep 4.0 serpentine - Google Search
here in this drawing you can see that the only accessory who's direction of travel changes is the water pump.

So I guess to clarify my question should I just swap the pulleys( if this is possible?) from a donor on my ac and alternator pump or should I swap in the whole alternator.

The deciding factor I suppose would be if the the 4.0 alternator put out more juice than a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l alternator. Or while I am at it should I just go balls to the wall and swap in a cs144?

I still have not found a good 4.0 serpentine on a 4.0 write up yet So this will be a fun adventure.

I think I would swap it all over to make it easier :confused:

I think I would swap it all over to make it easier :confused:

Well that's what i am looking at doing. But I can't find alot of info on it. If the 4.0 has any mounts threaded into the block that are different from the 258then I may be dead in the water. I know he water pump fits, and the steering pump mounts to the 4.0 intake which I will be using, and the harmonic balance will swap over with a spacer. That just leaves the question as to whether the 4.0alternator bracket will mount to the block. I am like 50% sure that the ac compressor is only a matter of swappig the pulleys out but I may have to pull the bracket off a 4.0 in order to positionthe compressor correctly. Then I have no idea how the belt tensioners mount to a 4.0 and so haven't the foggiest if they will swap over....

Then there are the alternator options as different years and models have different alternators. For Instance the late 90s grand cherokees with 4.0 have an alternator that is rated for 135 amps. So the question is if I bought one of those new would I be able to pull any year 4.0 alt bracket or would I have to get the alt bracket used with that particular alty??

google 88 cherokee 4.0

I'm looking to do the same thing to my 84 CJ7 258ci I-6. I want to bore it 030 over put on 4.0 head and convert it to MPI with a high output Alt.

What happened here? No anwser for 10 months. Will my power steering bolt up to any intake for 4.0 MPI. How can I turn the water pump around?
Did you find the right Alt?

I'm looking to do the same thing to my 84 CJ7 258ci I-6. I want to bore it 030 over put on 4.0 head and convert it to MPI with a high output Alt.

What happened here? No anwser for 10 months. Will my power steering bolt up to any intake for 4.0 MPI. How can I turn the water pump around?
Did you find the right Alt?

Hey sorry scooter I have been at OCS the last few months. What are you looking to do exactly with your setup? Are you trying to maintain your original pump or use a 4.0 pump? I have had all this running since i made this thread. you kinda dug up a dead on here.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom