Set me straight on correct fluids/lubes...

Set me straight on correct fluids/lubes...

Turtle71

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 258 T5
Looking forward to starting off the build with my dad. It will be a while before it gets to the caliber of all of yours. I guess we will be starting things off by freshening all the fluids. Oil change, Transmission , Transfer Case , diffs, brakes, power steering, coolant/antifreeze. From the research I've done, it looks like 70 weight gear oil for the non world class T-5 , but ATF for world class ones. I believe I have the Dana 300 , but I have seen different types of lube specified for these (80/90, etc.).

Can anyone set me straight on whats recommended for each of these fluids? Also, whats safe to use to clean all the gunk out of the cases and diffs???

Last edited:
The Dana 300 takes 80-90 gear oil.
As for cleaning the diffs, brake cleaner works well if needed.
For the engine I'd use shell rotella diesel oil to protect the cam and lifters.

WOW I missed the news that rotella changed.:( thanks for the link.

Yes the diffs take 80-90.

So the shopping list is:

Rotella Diesel oil C-14 grade for the engine
70 weight gear oil for the Transmission
80/90 lube for the T case and diffs
Antifreeze
Brake fluid
I am guessing RTV sealant for the T case and diffs

Let me know any brand recommendations you guys have...or if I got something wrong. Also, how many quarts/gallons of each?

Last edited:
Sounds like your off to a good start :chug: :chug:

anything you can find in lucas would be great

Thanks Old Dog, that FSM sure will come in handy. I'm gonna look around for this stuff (fluids, lubes and filters) over the next few days. I guess I'll pick up a Fram for the oil filter (unless someone has a better suggestion). I wonder who will have the best prices? Walmart,or one of the auto parts stores?

Go with a wix filter, a friend of mine put a fram on a 92' F350 and it sucked the inside up to the block, and it lost all oil pressure.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom