Should I buy AMC 360?

Should I buy AMC 360?

Canadian CJ 7

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Current Setup 1985 Jeep CJ-258, 6cyl -T-5 5spd 273 gears.
I have an opportunity to purchase a complete AMC 360 out of a early 70's Javelin for $600. Apparently it has special heads that came with that motor.
I already have a AMC 304 line up to buy complete really cheap under $300 dollars.
Either one of these motors would be going into my 1985 CJ7 . I purchased a T-176 to work with either one of these engines. I am going to buy the AMC 304 regardless, it a good deal with a Edlebrock hisrise and 4bbl. Would it be a huge difference in performance between the two engines, if I am just going to add a mild performance cam, 4bbl intake manifold, HEI and Headers (200-250+ hp) Would it be worth the extra $600 dollars for the 360. Both would need to be rebuilt. I have been doing lot's of thinking, I think I could make a better informed decision with your help.

The simple answer to this question is yes , if your looking for a 8 cyl. a 360 is a great candidate. I dont know how prices are in Cananda but I wouldnt pay $600 for one that needs a rebuild. I replaced my AMC 304 with a 360 and there was a huge difference. My AMC 304 was pretty abused though so it would be different with yours having a fresh rebuild. Personally Id take more cubic inches 10 out of 10 times.

Hey Canadian CJ 7 - the special heads that you speak of are the dog leg port exhaust heads that were introduced in all 1970 and beyond AMC V8's. The thing that is special about them is that they flowed like crazy but, they are standard on all 1970+ AMC V8's...

The 1970 360 was rated at 235-245 hp (2 BBL), while the 4BBL produced 285 to 295 HP. That is quite a leap over the 210 HP of the AMC 304 ... :)

The AMC WIKI is a great resource! -->> AMC V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is another vote for the 360, but I'd get them down to around $300 or so since it needs rebuilt. I bought my last 360 for $AMC 150 running (how well I don't know yet, but its in the CJ as is!)

As for the AMC 304 , a hi-rise intake isn't a very good thing for a CJ that will see off road time. Too much RPMs for easy trail riding. IF your going to bog it, then the Hi-rise would be great! A good dual plane intake or medium rise would be better for trails, IMO.

The AMC 304 has a dual plane Edelbrock hi-rise. The lowest he will take is $500 for the AMC 360. I think I will go for it and try to get it.
I could always restore another Jeep CJ, this time a CJ5 and put the AMC 304 in it, if I get the 360 for my CJ7 .
Thank-you my friends for your help. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom