SM465 Vs. T-18

stoney bones

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7

258ci, mc2100 ,SR4 trans, dana 300 Tcase, dana 30 front, amc 20 2 piece rear
I thought i was convinced i wanted a T-18 with the creeper first @ 6.32 but, these things proove to be expensive in my area and rare.

i was reading up on some novak literature that the Muncie SM465 is a common and excellent swap out for my current SR4 as it shares a similar bolt pattern. the SM465 also features a creeper gear @ 6.55

they also mention a SM420 with an even lower 7.00 first but is about 50lbs lighter.

both said to be for heavy duty use and excellent for off road. only difference other than the slight gear ratios seems to be a bit of weight and a little space.

now, i havnt gotten to checking availabilty on them but novak claims they are pretty easy to find.

whats better between the three? will i ever find a right answer? or is the simple answer they are just three excellent transmissions and its going to be personal choice?

edit: according to the specs in the novak knowledge base the SM420 has about the same dimensions and comes in 10lbs lighter with a lower first gear....and more rare.

Last edited:
I honestly think that the NP435, T-18 , SM420, and SM465 are all great trannies and you will find it hard to knock any of them. It all comes down to availibility and price :D

I would also look closely at length, you don't have a whole lot of room. :cool:

I honestly think that the NP435, T-18 , SM420, and SM465 are all great trannies and you will find it hard to knock any of them. It all comes down to availibility and price :D

the more i read the more that seems to be true.

availability seems to be same between the 3 in my area. a couple here a couple there. i found a nice T-18 but it was attatched to an NP 208 he wont separate. isnt the shaft on the np208 on the opposite side? i seem to remember being told that.

i half thought about just buying the combo off him because im getting a bit impatient and just want the Transmission . but im going to give it a week or so more and see what pops up in the ads. also he said if there were no takers he would offer it separately .

ioport: thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely look into that

The T-18 + adapter is almost the exact same length as a T-4 /T-5 tranny. which was an option to the SR4 . So fitment wont be an issue.

I like the 420 out of all of those trannys...just for the 205 option along with the lower gearing and lighter weight. I am however, running a T18a and I love it.

Parts for sm420 and 465 at times can be hard to find
sm420 are a hard find
sm465 are fairly easy to find I paid $275. for my 465 but have over $2000. in it their not cheap to build :chug:

for my 465 but have over $2000. in it their not cheap to build :chug:[/QUOTE]
:eek: thats aproaching NV4500 pricing

I found a 465 still attached to the t/c on CL for $200.00. Just bought it in case something ever came up. Is really long & heavy for 7 a fit. Would work well in my 8 or commando if I could talk my son out of the 401. Good trading fodder.:)

for my 465 but have over $2000. in it their not cheap to build :chug:
:eek: thats aproaching NV4500 pricing[/QUOTE]

yeah replaced all the guts since almost every gear had teeth missing , worst part finding parts was a challenge by it self

If you are interested, I've got a T-18 with the shorter shaft, 6.32 first gear, mated directly to a Dana 20 Transfer Case with the bronco gears installed (I think 2.46), and a very rare factory twin stick shifter assembly with all gear combinations available. This is about as short of a combination as you can get. Both units are in very good condition. $900.00 for the pair .

Jim

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom