Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ 7 Blue
2004 Chevy LWB CC,
2012 Corvette Grand Sport
1986 CJ 7 Red Garnet
1978 CJ 7 Kinda Orangish
like this?! LOL! Ya' think it's got some wear in it? The PO actually had a piece of tubing that fit just perfect over both ends. When you pushed in the clutch the tubing kept the two pieces together and then the spring pressure would return it to the normal posiiton. New one ordered.

Attachments

• 100_2045.jpg
    100_2045.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 100_2046.jpg
    100_2046.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 432
like this?! LOL! Ya' think it's got some wear in it? The PO actually had a piece of tubing that fit just perfect over both ends. When you pushed in the clutch the tubing kept the two pieces together and then the spring pressure would return it to the normal posiiton. New one ordered.

Don't expect the new one to last forever! There are a few really poorly designed items on a CJ and the clutch linkage may be the worst.

Yes this is a problem area. The linkage joints are metal to metal. We are talking about 20 year old vehicles. I installed Rugged Ridge Linkage.
images.ashx

Ha! I just replaced my linkage with the kit from Morris.. I wish I would have done more homework and found the Rugged Ridge linkage shown above. My linkage actually looked worse than yours and if I had to give a time line on how long it had left in its life Id have to say it was days!

I was not too pleased with the quality of the kit from Morris but hey its better than what I had.. :chug:

Busa.. If you dont mind can you send me a link to the Rigged Ridge kit you have shown us?

I didn't know you could buy such a kit. I made my own with Heim bearings from the local bearing supply. Not a big feat if you have the equipment but I very possibly would have bought this kit if I had known it existed.
Sasquach is right, there are a few things that Jeep screwed the pooch on. The clutch linkage and the windshield wipers come to mind first, the heater is a close second.:D

LOL my clutch linkage looked similar to yours......then I broke out the welder :D

Mine popped off and jammed up in gear the first time i tried to clime a rocky hill...

:madjeep:

It will be replaced soon with hydro, chain, or cable soon... Still haven't made up my mind, but if you haven't ordered your new linkage yet, or can return it, i would check out some of the posts on here first re: swapping to different type of system. Especially if you are going for a Moderate off-road able ride...

Baja :notworthy: wrote up a great one with his Advanced adapters kit. the post is labeled "Early CJ5 clutch linkage retrofit".

There are a few more places to look like Advanced adapters web site and (I think) brothers trucks had the parts needed for hydraulic conversion including peddles if needed... I believe i linked that on another post of mine. Let me know if you are interested and ill dig it up...

:chug:

Hydraulic is the way to go if you are serious about getting rid of all the junk, bell crank and linkage, that wears out quickly.

You won't look back. :)

Brings back memories. I think my Scrambler was worse. ;)clutchadjworn.jpg

Don't expect the new one to last forever! There are a few really poorly designed items on a CJ and the clutch linkage may be the worst.
Very true. I grabbed a slightly better design from Quadratec myself. I believe itll last longer but have no real feedback since the Jeep has hardly moved since. :eek:
clutchrodreplace.jpg

Yes this is a problem area. The linkage joints are metal to metal. We are talking about 20 year old vehicles. I installed Rugged Ridge Linkage.
images.ashx

Ha! I just replaced my linkage with the kit from Morris.. I wish I would have done more homework and found the Rugged Ridge linkage shown above. My linkage actually looked worse than yours and if I had to give a time line on how long it had left in its life Id have to say it was days!

I was not too pleased with the quality of the kit from Morris but hey its better than what I had.. :chug:

Busa.. If you dont mind can you send me a link to the Rigged Ridge kit you have shown us?
These kits were going for around $100 last I looked. Definately a better solution. And dont get me started with Morris.:mad:

Hydraulic is the way to go if you are serious about getting rid of all the junk, bell crank and linkage, that wears out quickly.

You won't look back. :)
Id appreciate if you would do a write up on your set up. It would be something worthwhile for the site... and youd be famous!! :D pm me if your interested.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom