spark plug wire ?

spark plug wire ?

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
ok i just bought a msd street fire cdi ingnition box. my ? is it says not to use solid core spark plug wires. what is a solid core wire. does it mine i have to buy msd, mallory, accel, ect ect wires. i have 8mm wires on it now from work that are autolites. o i have done the team rush so i have the ford round cap and wires.

seems to me like most wires today are spiral core wires correct me if i'm wrong. i bought a cheap set for a chevy 250 and they are spiral core 8mm $27

mine where about the same price. so i got to dish out the money for new wires. for some reason the power steering stuff is getting put to the side again lol.

mine where about the same price. so i got to dish out the money for new wires. for some reason the power steering stuff is getting put to the side again lol.
i'm not saying you need new wires for sure. you said they told you NOT to use solid core wire then you would need stranded wire or spiral core wire it should say what it is on your wire isulation, if not you might could pull your plug boot back and see what type they are (maybe)

Look whats written on the outer coating of the wires, before you buy new stuff.
Unless they are old in which case it's better to go ahead and replace them.

Look whats written on the outer coating of the wires, before you buy new stuff.
Unless they are old in which case it's better to go ahead and replace them.

there new wires. have to get all the snow around the jeep moved to see. i have about 3" of lift and theres a snow drift right in front of it up to the bumper. i hate winter :mad: ready for it to be over.

went out and looked at the wires after getting to wife out of the ditch and they same nothing about solid core so i should be good.

Solid are always better, but they give off a lot of RF noise, which screws with ECUs and radios. If you are not going to use solid you will have some loss in spark intensity, but if you are not running NOS, turbo, or supercharger you will not notice. Google Dr. Chris Jacobs, find his book and read it, you will be happy you did.

went out and looked at the wires after getting to wife out of the ditch and they same nothing about solid core so i should be good.

Pull the part# for your wires and do a quick site check summit, autozone, napa they should tell what core it has.

on advance auto web site they say they are Suppressor core anyone knows what that means?

I think it has some thing to do with limiting radio noise.

so does that mean i can use them with my ingnition box?

drop an email on MSD include wire type, Part#, etc.
They can tell you for sure and are quick to answer.

Suppressor core is what you want, its hard to find solid cores in most places. Solids are basically full race thing. The suppressor core suppresses RF noise which make the computer in the CD ignition go nuts. So yes you are good to go.

thanks.:D

No problem, BTW, you are going to have a much hotter spark, using an ohm meter check the resistance of the wires, you should have no more than 1K ohms per foot. Anything more than that and you are not going to get the true benefits of the new ignition, and you could damage it. When you are running high end ignitions plugs and wires conditions are more important.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom