Spinning bearing sound?!?!?!?!!?!?

Spinning bearing sound?!?!?!?!!?!?

MI79CJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ7 304, TH400 (auto), Quadra-trac.
Well here is my first post and it's about a repair, go figure, right?

What I have is a sound behind the engine that basically sounds like a bearing rolling around in the dryer. The sound increases with acceleration.

The sound started when I had to accelerate quickly on the e-way to get around a car. The sound is not present at start up or idle, so I don't believe it is an engine issue. If you just do around town cruising, it doesn't usually present itself, unless you have to accelerate quickly.

I am guessing maybe a drive-shaft related issue or dreadfully a Transmission issue.

I appreciate any guidance y'all can give, thanks in advance.

My first thought was a throwout bearing too, I agree with cj you will have to pull the tranny to find out, if you have an inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing, you can remove it to see if you could possibly have a clutch plate comming loose, or possibly a broken pressure plate spring. :chug:

Thank you both, when I heard it happen that was the first thing that popped into my head. Should trust the gut eh? Well now to find a good shop to take it to here in Mid-Michigan, as I don't have the space or equip available.

The sound increases with acceleration.
Is the sound related to engine speed or vehicle speed?
Is it the same at 3000 rpm in fist gear as it is at 3000 rpm in top gear?
If it is related to engine speed it is the tranny or earlier.
If it is related to vehicle speed it it the tranny or later.

Definitely "vehicle" speed, it gets louder the faster you go. It was worst at 55-60 mph. Tooling around town, don't even really notice it unless you have to accelerate quickly, trying to make a light or pass another car. At start up, idle, or giving gas in park nothing.

Have you checked u-joints?

I'm having a hard time imagining a bearing rolling around in a drier...forgive me if i'm way off. By the way, what in the world is and e-way?:confused:

Tracks, I haven't had a chance to check the U-joints, work and fam have totally trumped any Jeep exam and investigate time. I have a few other concerns since driving the CJ home. I found a local repair shop that does Jeep repair and builds, so I think I am going to take it to the pros for a good exam of the entire drivetrain. That way I will truly know what I am going to have learn how to tackle over the coming, weeks..months....years!!!

Oh and e-way is the expressway/freeway.

Last edited:
It could also be the pilot bearing/ bushing spinning in the bore. My experience with driveshaft u- joints, is vibration more than noise. Just my two cents.

idk if you took it to the shop yet but if you still have the stock AMC20 it kinda sounds like wheel bearing failure, if ya get a free minute jack the rear end and check the wheel bearings, anyttime mine made bearing noise it was the first thing i checked

It could also be the pilot bearing/ bushing spinning in the bore.

I'm with Purple... It's a good thought, not being able to hear the actual noise... I just had to have my Transmission rebuilt due to the PO driving it so long the front bearing went out on tranny and shaft slopped around, as pilot pushing was toast...

Anyways the Jeep made a ridiculously loud grinding noise through 2 of my 3 gears...

That and the clutch and before mentioned front bearing etc, so I had issues, but may be a possibility...

I'd check the other stuff first as easier and quicker, but don't rule out possibility of the inside the Transmission / bellhousing...

:chug:
~ JR

Yeah, I am hoping it is something else. I am taking it into a shop that does a bit of Jeep and 4x4 work. I have a few other drivetrain issues that need lookin' at, so I am going to put the CJ in the hands of the pros. I will throw the verdict up in the post when I get it.

Thank y'all for the input.

Well, took the CJ into the shop today. The only good news I got is that the noise I was hearing doesn't appear to be a Transmission issue. the front drive shaft is pretty much toast. The bad news is that there was A LOT of bad news. There are a couple of spots of frame rot, but appears to be able to be dealt with. There also appears to be an oil leak somewhere in the engine (although when I bought it, allegedly no leaks and seals replaced), not so much, and a number of other issues, that I won't bore y'all with now, but will discuss at length as I tackle each project. Gotta love a driveable project, right?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom