Squeaking Sound?

Squeaking Sound?

BLennon

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8 with stock 258 (Mileage Unknown... atleast 120,000)
T-176 Tranny
Hey Guys,

So I have a squeaking sound coming from under the hood that has slowly been getting worse. It's an '82 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . It seems to happen mostly when I step on the gas. I don't hear it much at idle or when the clutch is engaged. My very little amount of knowledge thinks it may be the belts. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot

Check you belts? Loose?

X2 on checking belts! Simple, quick way to eliminate a cheap fix. Just push down and lift up on the belt to see how much play you have. Check to see that they're not worn, and that they still have teeth left. While the engine is not running of course!:D I believe about an inch of play is about right.

Last edited:
X3 Belts,
While motor is running, bring the idle up from under the hood so you can see the motor, it may be a pulley squeeling.

If the sound gets worse while the tires are turned one way or the other I would lean twards belt tension or belt wear.

DONT USE SPRAY ON BELT DRESSING OR TREATMENT! Its all junk and a quick fix to a bigger issue.

Good luck

have you opened the hood and tried to find it with someone reving the throttle?

If you Jeep has a serpentine belt system check the idler. My 84 CJ7 idler used to howl under load and I would spray WD-40 on it and all was well. Not all CJ's had that set up though. Mine was a california model. I am not sure if it had that set up because of that or not.

an easy way to confirm a squeaking belt is to spray water on the suspect belt with the engine running. if the squeal goes away, your on the right track.

Bar soap does it, too. I'm betting power steering belt. Any takers? :)

Thanks for the quick help. It always impresses me how many people there are here with a lot of knowledge and willing help the new guys.

I'll play around with the belts tomorrow. No I don't have AC. I'm pretty sure I don't have the serpentine belt system either.

I did have someone looking under the hood while it was making the noise. He seemed to think it was coming from a belt.

Thanks again. And I'll keep you updated

My money's on the alternator belt :D

We have a winner! All it took was to tighten the alternator belt and the squeaking was gone. Is that the actual name of the belt? The other belt seems a little loose too so I'll figure out how to tighten that one. It seems a little more complicated than the two bolts it took for the alternator one. Thanks again for all the help

Bobby

On another note... I'M GETTING A WELDER!! So I'm pretty pumped and should be making some good process on my frame on mini restoration. Hopefully you'll see a freshly painted scrambler in a couple months. Don't hold your breath though!

One of these days I'll run across a Scrambler for the right money & bring it home... then I'll be as pickled tink as you are about that welder. :) :) :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom