Stalling after warm up

Stalling after warm up

jeepjunkie

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86' Jeep CJ-7
Just bought an 86' CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l liter in line six. Dumped a bunch of cash into it to make so I don't have to worry about mechanical issues, the body is another story I will deal with over winter.

The problem is after replacing many parts I'm experiencing stalling and sputtering after a warm up period but the dam thing will idle all day long. If I pull over and let it sit for a few minutes I'm good to go for a few miles and it starts all over again.

List of things replaced:

New gas tank
All new gas lines supply and return
New carb
New fuel pump
New igntion coil
New brake lines
New starter
New fuel filter
New gas tank sending unit

Most all of the vacuum hoses are disconnected and I'm wondering if it's a vaccum advance issue. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
i would get all the hoses hooked up and see if it fixes it. then i would look at the module and see if theres a problem there. i now at advance auto we have a tester for those. if it is bad i would look at doing the gm 4 pin module or a ign box.

I would say check the vacuum lines at the CTO valve. your getting a vacuum leak after it warms up.:cool:

I had the carter carb and all the vaccum lines had been capped.
My stalling after warm, came from 2 places.
1st the floatbowl and the needle the float presses on was dirty.
2nd the fuel filter location, and fuel hoses from the pump to the filter to
the carb. Once the hoses and filter had been replaced and the filter properly
orientated all was good.

The first thing to check is your fuel filter position. Do you have this style of fuel filter, with one inlet and two outlets?

DSC01692.jpg DSC01691.jpg

On the end with the two outlets the top fitting needs to be above the lower or center fitting. The top fitting is the fuel return back to the tank. If the return fitting is lower than fuel outlet to the carb, fuel will be siphoned out of the carb bowl and back to the tank.

This situation will make for hard starts after your Jeep has sat for a day or two. This is a common problem and one I experienced myself with my AMC 304 when I first purchased my '79 CJ7 .

I repositioned the filter and now my AMC 304 starts within a few cranks even after sitting for weeks.

Hope this helps.........
From another thread

X2 on it being the carb as the most likely source of your problem...you might not be getting enough pump shot out of that carb for your engine

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom