Starter quit

Starter quit

ftwflh

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ 5, 232 6cyl 3spd lots of rust,good frame,Dana 44s w/373 gears,ProComp 4in lift kit
Starter began messing up yesterday.Acted like the bendix wasnt kicking in but if you would hit it a few times or move the Jeep it would start.
Got stuck between ruts today and stalled it.Had to be pulled to bump start.
Got home took the starter off and the is no Bendix left on the end of the starter.(life time AZ starter).Flywheel looks rough as in wore a little but didnt see any missing teeth.
Whats everyone think?:eek:

Oh yeah the pinion seal in the rear dif started leaking too.Are all Dana 44 seals the same?

don't know about tne Dana 44 , but you can put a new starter on there with the flywheel worn but id make it a el cheapo one until you can replace the flywheel, or flywheel gear, then id put a clutch in it at the same time. But it should survive a while.
Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

don't know about tne Dana 44 , but you can put a new starter on there with the flywheel worn but id make it a el cheapo one until you can replace the flywheel, or flywheel gear, then id put a clutch in it at the same time. But it should survive a while.
Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I put a clutch in last winter and the flywheel was ok then.Put this starter on about 3 months ago and it was ok.The starter is a Auto Zone lifetime warranty so I can replace it until the flywheel craps out.Then I think I will get a GOOD starter and flywheel.:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom