starter won't stop starting

starter won't stop starting

hammondcc

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a 79 CJ5 . I recently replaced the starter and solenoid. Things were working fine until a few days ago when I started the engine but the starter continued to be engaged. I had to disconnect the battery to shup the engine off. Now when I try and hook the battery back up the engine tries to fire up, dispite the ignition switch being in the off position. I have tried a few of the ideas I checked online and in my manual but no change. Any idea?
Thanks.

Hello hammondcc and welcome to the site! :chug:

First disconnect the large wire from the solenoid to the starter (while the battery is disconnected) - that will keep the starter from engaging every time you hook up the battery. All these test are run with the LARGE 12v starter wire disconnected.

Do you have a meter or a test light?
If so, with the battery hooked up (and the above starter wire disconnected), pull the small wire connected to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid. Does the wire have 12v? If so and the ignition switch is off you are getting 12v to the solenoid and most likely the switch is bad.
Does the 'S' terminal have 12v (with the wire disconnected) and or the large terminal for the starter have 12v? If so the solenoid is bad.

If you do not have a test light -
Pull the small starter wire off of the 'S' terminal on the solenoid. With the large starter wire still disconnected, reconnect the battery.
Does the solenoid engage (click) when you connect and reconnect the battery? If so the solenoid is bad.
If the solenoid does not engage (click) in the above test, connect the small wire to the 'S' terminal - does the solenoid engage (click)? If so the you are getting 12v to the starter with the key off, most likely the switch.

Closed or bad solinoid

ignition switch. sticking. Mine did it once. It didn't try to turn the starter over, it just wouldn't torn the engine off. :D

I've had that happen with a low battery making the solenoid stick. But that should have stopped when you disconnected the battery. But its possible the contacts in the solenoid are fused now, causing your problem.

If you have the room, try tapping the solenoid with a rubber mallet.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom