Starting problem

Starting problem

BenMc

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ 7 w/304 V8
New to the forum and new to Jeeps all together, just bought my first Jeep a 1982 CJ7 AMC 304 V8... When I met the seller the Jeep fired and ran, sounded great no nocks, smoke, or ticking.. Shut it off talked for a few mins and when we went to trailer it wouldnt start starter just gave a click, pull started it and got it on the trailer. When I got it home I put on a new starter, was happy it was only two mounting bolts and a wire I sick of newer cars.... put a charge on it for 15 mins and fired up... same thing.. sounded great let it idle for a few mins while I got everything out of the way then I stalled it out, Im assuming I was in low 4 and 1st gear now the starter clicks fast like its trying to engage and the flywheel is stuck.

This is my first go round with Jeeps and older 4WD so any advice or help is welcomed.

Thanks
Ben

Sounds to me like maybe a solenoid going bad... Try to bypass it by putting the Transmission in neutral, block tires, and jump positive post direct to starter. If it turns over solenoid is bad, 12.00 part... easy to replace on fender well usually.

If not, (still clicks) either the starter is not shim'ed right (though mine has no shims) or it's sticking... Possible it's flywheel, you can remove the inspection plate and look for busted teeth...

Could also be a bad ground / dirty corroted wires. Try unhooking and cleaning all connections to the bat, solenoid, and main ground to block...
:chug:

Last edited:
Forgot to mention in that post that I did replace the selenoid, got the last on autozone had in stock. Tried jumping from the battery to the starter and get nothing, getting a fast clicking from the selenoid and nothing from the starter now.

:confused: While jumping straight from Bat to starter stud, the solenoid shouldn't make a peep, since you're bypassing... But i remember someone else saying the exact same thing the other day...:cool:

Try to disconnect bat for a min or two... Sometimes things get "stuck". Resetting bat will help in some cases...

While we're talking Bat, I assume you've got 12v +? (bat is fully charged?)

Now how about the grounds? Be a good idea to take loose, grind / wire brush the contact points up a ways... One faulty ground or loose battery cable can make a large difference..

I hadn't realized one of my bat cables had started to come loose form the post connector (where the wire hooks up to post connector)

While we're talking Bat, I assume you've got 12v +? (bat is fully charged?)
That's my guess. Make sure the battery is good and fully charged.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom