Steering Gear Box

Steering Gear Box

musciab

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ 5, 6 cyl 3 speed, AMC 20 Rear, Dana 30 Front
So I have run into more problems, even before I had a chance to look at the spitting issue that I posted about last week. So my steering has a ton of play in it and it is from the steering gear box splined rod that connects to my steering coupler. I took a look at it last night and found that the splines are no more and the only reason I have any steering is because of the screw in the bracket that hold the coupler to the box.

My question is, seeing as I am broke right now and getting married in exactly a month can I do a quick fix for this. Meaning, can I just go ahead and drill a hole through the coupler and splined rod coming out of the box and put a screw through there then replace the bracket for extra support incase something fails? Will this work for just putting around town and getting me to work a mile away until I can afford to replace the box?

Does anyone have any good contacts for used CJ5 parts? Or has anyone seen a steering gear box for a 76 CJ5 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with power steering? I think I found one on craigs list but it is for an 80 CJ7 . Are these interchangeable?

I would say in a pinch it would be OK to drill and bolt until a permanant fix could be made, problem is I doubt you can drill the hardened shaft.
Junkyard or used parts would be better, is the spline on the steering gear input shaft bad or just the intermediate shaft/coupler?

All the CJ boxes from 73 and up will bolt right in. Also some other manufactures may work. The gear box is a saginaw used by GM and others. I'm running a 1 ton box from a 1986 GMC van.

All the CJ boxes from 73 and up will bolt right in. Also some other manufactures may work. The gear box is a saginaw used by GM and others. I'm running a 1 ton box from a 1986 GMC van.

Just to add to that..You need to stay with a power or manual box as you have or you will need to replace pitman and intermediate shaft to accomodate the diff. spline sizes.
Good luck

I've also heard you should try to stay withing the right "turning ratio" :confused:

Sorry, I'm not very good with the terminology, but basically full left to full right = x # of full rotations?

Just thought i'd add, maybe someone with more knowledge on particular wording / statistics, would be of more assistance with that comment;)

:chug:\

~ JR

This was from a manual to steering conversion write up, but covers what i was trying to say:

• Be careful with the box you select from where ever you get it. Too fast a ratio box is not good for a SWB CJ!! You don’t want to turn the wheel a half inch and end up in the next lane over from the one you wanted to be in (that would be two lanes over or in a ditch !!) or have the back of the CJ coming around. The choice of box is yours and I am only passing along the things that I came across in researching the swap when I did mine. Find an expert and ask which box (ratio/donor) they would suggest if you are uncertain.

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/articles/suspension-and-steering-8/manual-to-power-steering-conversion-23/?epostid=21#post21#ixzz1QnB7WUiH

I would check out that article a little... There are some other good threads on the site too that might help...

(Some of the links don't work anymore do to the company changing website design, but still good info)
Hope this helps, :chug:

~ JR

So, my progress on this has come to a halt, mainly due to money and my upcoming wedding, but after the wedding its game on. I want to get this thing done and on the road/trails. Haha.

But anyways, does anyone know the ratio of the gear box for power steering. I think I have a replacement but he was asking me what my current box ratio was and I honestly don’t know. If anyone could give me a heads up, it would be much appreciated.

I think you can find out by the number of full turns from full left to full right?

Someone please correct me? :cool:

I have tried looking it up around here for a while (like 10 min) but can't find the number... Also upon reading it seems there are 2 schools of thought to consider...

1- You Don't want a "fast ratio":
Seems to be on road mostly highway manners based. From the original tech article I posted above "quote" from...

2- You do want the "fast ratio":
Seems to be helpful off road so you can easily and quickly correct your "line"

I am not certain either way...

I'm hoping a more knowledgeable member will chime in here and help me out... :cool:

Above info seemed true based on these two older posts / write ups...

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/power-steering-conversion-874/

Manual to Power Steering Conversion - Jeep-CJ Tech. Articles

:chug:

~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom