Sticky lifter

Sticky lifter

nctom

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ 7, 258 i6, 3 speed
Hi all,

I think I've got a sticky lifter on one of my valves. I've got a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 and for the first few minutes of driving when the engine is cold, I get a pronounced clicking that follows the rpm range of the engine. After a few, it stops and the engine sounds like a sewing machine again, which is to say, good.

Anything I can do about it? I tossed a half can of sea foam in to the crank case. I am thinking of upgrading to synthetic oil this weekend. Think that will help?

Thanks!
Tom

how many miles?? could be a piston slap.

Hi all,

I think I've got a sticky lifter on one of my valves. I've got a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 and for the first few minutes of driving when the engine is cold, I get a pronounced clicking that follows the rpm range of the engine. After a few, it stops and the engine sounds like a sewing machine again, which is to say, good.

Anything I can do about it? I tossed a half can of sea foam in to the crank case. I am thinking of upgrading to synthetic oil this weekend. Think that will help?

Thanks!
Tom

Most of the time you end up replacing the lifter.

Is replacing a lifter a big deal? I've got 115k on the ticker. I need to check compression and see how many years I may have left.

Its a "project"... Not undoable in a day though...

Remove carb, valve covers, then intake manifold then loosen rocker(s) i believe... Not sure if you can magnet them through with intake... Pretty sure not.

Have u ever seen under the intake manifold of a motor? I could post a pic if you'd like?:cool:

you will have to pull the head to get the lifter out. the lifter is on the other side from the intake and the push rod hole is a bit smaller than the lifter.:cool:
Do a little research on piston slap. the way is goes away when it gets warm makes it sound like a good possibility. you can diagnose it with out pulling more than the plugs.
bring each piston to top of stroke and rock the crank with a pull handle. If you have a problem you will be able to hear it click when the direction of force on the piston rod changes and the skirt of the piston slaps the cylinder wall. This is a problem generated by unleaded gasoline. Some new cars can develop it in rather short times. I understand Subaru has a class action suit against them because of it.:D

:eek: i was thinking of my old 351 v8 ford motor... :notworthy:

My bad... What he said ^^^
:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom