stuck in the wrong place!!

stuck in the wrong place!!

rex

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 Cj5 i6
i would much rather be stuck in 3ft of mud but.....im stuck in the garage!! Im new to the site hope you all can help me out. Im new to jeeps and more importantly this is my first standard trany, i know nothing about them. My problem is that it will go into R12&3, but not neutral. Also went in R the tires will spin but the jeep wont move. I tried in all 4X4 gears also. each time different tires would spin but she wont budge. help.

# 1- if you can go through the gears- you have neutral- it is the dead spot between gears- there is no neutral gear spot.
# 2- if just the rear tires are spinning when you try to move you probably have a locked up front brake caliper or wheel bearing- jack up the front end and see if the wheels turn freely. If all the wheels spin one at a time- you got me:confused:

i would much rather be stuck in 3ft of mud but.....im stuck in the garage!! Im new to the site hope you all can help me out. Im new to jeeps and more importantly this is my first standard trany, i know nothing about them. My problem is that it will go into R12&3, but not neutral. Also went in R the tires will spin but the jeep wont move. I tried in all 4X4 gears also. each time different tires would spin but she wont budge. help.

Front & back tires spin at different times, or did I misunderstand?:confused:
Do you know any history on this vehicle?

Which tires spin in 4x4 low?

# 1- if you can go through the gears- you have neutral- it is the dead spot between gears- there is no neutral gear spot.
# 2- if just the rear tires are spinning when you try to move you probably have a locked up front brake caliper or wheel bearing- jack up the front end and see if the wheels turn freely. If all the wheels spin one at a time- you got me:confused:

X2 All I can think of is one of your wheels are locked up.
Try what buuushman said and jack up all the wheels and see which one will not turn.(by hand)

You are stuck in two gears, the shift rods are both out of neutral. Pull the stick out and look down in to see if the shift rods are lined up.Try moving them forward and back until you find neutral and put the stick back in to see if it changes gears. Was it in neutral when you moved it into the garage??:cool:

X2 All I can think of is one of your wheels are locked up.
Try what buuushman said and jack up all the wheels and see which one will not turn.(by hand)
thanks for the quick responses fellas!! I just jacked it up, the front left will rotate forward but not reverse at all. The front right will rotate forward and in reverse maybe 1 or 4 trys. Rear wheels go both ways. Whats next??

You are stuck in two gears, the shift rods are both out of neutral. Pull the stick out and look down in to see if the shift rods are lined up.Try moving them forward and back until you find neutral and put the stick back in to see if it changes gears. Was it in neutral when you moved it into the garage??:cool:
does this still apply after my last post?? Let my try to briefly give a timeline to where i am now. I started out CJ5 dead on my parents land, when loading on the trailer to bring to my house it was acting same as it is now. No neutral and couldnt push in reverse, anyways, got it on the trailer, to my garage and running again. Drove it one time and parked it in the garage. next couple days tried to move it to work on it and it wouldnt budge. I have been told its the traney thats bad, the clutch, no fluid, low fluid, ect...... which one if any is it?????

I'm going to assume that you drove this CJ into your garage...

1st - You have a 73 CJ5 - You need to unlock the front hubs! This will disconnect the front wheels from the front axles.

2nd - You have a Dana 20 Transfer Case - neutral is 1 up from the back -

Dana20.jpg

Put the Transfer Case in neutral and you should not have any wheel movement. You should be able to push that CJ around -if you cannot you have a locked up wheel.

Put the Transmission and the Transfer Case in neutral and then see what happens, withe the clutch out you should not go any where.

Now place the Transmission in 1st and slowly release the clutch. You should still not go any where as the Transfer Case is in neutral (the drive line is disengaged from the drive line)...

If you don't move, place the Transfer Case in 4 low with the Transmission in neutral and let out the clutch, you should still not move as the Transfer Case is engaged but the Transmission is not...

Now place the Transfer Case into 2 high while the Transmission is in neutral.

Now put the Transmission in reverse and back out...

You need to think about a Transfer Case and a Transmission as being two transmissions!

If you drag a wheel a bearing or brake is locked... :)

Disconnect the front drive shaft and try spinning the front wheels.
They should spin freely, if they don't it's int he front axle/brake/etc.

If they spin freely, put the Transmission in neutral, then move the Transfer Case stick
all the way forward try to spin the front drive shaft by hand, keep pulling the Transfer Case stick back until the frotn shaft roatates freely.
This will be neutral for both Transmission and Transfer Case .

ok, sorry its taken so long to get to this point but i finally got a chance to get back out in the garage this afternoon. I disengaged the front driveshaft jacked it up and tried to spin the wheels. sometimes they spin backwards and sometimes they dont i guess this means they are locked up. But why only sometimes?? i was moving it around a little and it locked up again about an inch from the wall!! if there is a sticky out there send it my way otherwise I will scoot on over to the appropriate forum. thanks for your patience and help fellas:chug:

ok...lets start simple...
how did the vehicle get to your house?
was it a basket case brought in on a wrecker or was it driven?

the reason you may not be able to get it to spin more than a few times is probably because you have a messed up spider gear in your differential, I have the same thing in my rear diff.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom