Stuck valve?

Stuck valve?

grunt

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 304, 400 automatic
I have one dead cylinder in my AMC 304 engine. It is getting spark. No compression with a gauge even when adding some oil down the cylinder. Do I have a stuck valve? I'm thinking its not a burnt valve because all my spark plugs looked decent . I pulled the one valve cover and I see all the rockers moving up and down on the suspected cylinder. If the valve is stuck do I hit the top of the valve stem with a hammer? Any info would be appreciated.

If the valve is stuck or bent you should be hearing all kinds of lifter rattle / tapping because of lack of preload on the spring. How much play is in the pushrod for the valve in question?

Could be a hole in the piston or cylinder wall....

If the valve is stuck or bent you should be hearing all kinds of lifter rattle / tapping because of lack of preload on the spring. How much play is in the pushrod for the valve in question?

I hear maybe a little ticking. I have headers on with flowmasters.... Last night I gave the suspected valve a couple of taps of a hammer and tighten down the rocker real good. Button it up and it was dark outside so today I will give it a shot. My understanding is a stock AMC 304 push rod can not bend a valve because there is always valve and piston clearance. ....I believe there was a slight spin of the push rod for play. I hoping maybe it is carbon buildup. Any more insight is appreciated...

Found out I have a burnt intake valve. Should I replace the lifter on that valve also? Thanks...

If they are all working properly and are not dished out on the bottom, no. I f so, I would replace them all.
By the way, while you're at it, I would pull the other head and send it to the shop as well.

Cams and lifters need to be broken in together. Dont mess with the lifters unless you really have to. If it's still oiling, dont worry about it.

Thanks CJim7 and dpuck for the replies. I did a compression test on the other head and all cylinders are at 140 lbs. I can tell someone else has been in here because the gaskets are Fel pro. I'm going to get a new valve to replace the burnt one and lapped all the valves on the head that is taken off and button it up. What caused that valve to burn up?...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom