Stupid Driveshaft Question

Stupid Driveshaft Question

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
Ok, it's been a decade since I built my last Jeep CJ. The one I'm building now came in parts. I'm trying to remember if the driveshaft slip joints go on the Transfer Case side, or the axle side? :)

I looked at a nuber of different jeep pics on the net and in some of them you can actually see the front driveshaft with the slip joint towards the front axle? I'm sure it'll work either way, but would like to find out which way is factory? I would think it would be better to have the slip joint by the Transfer Case where it's less prone to drag on anything.

Both slips pointing towards the front:)

I just pulled the front drive shaft on my 1980 CJ7 . The slip-collar was worn completely out, and the shaft was crooked as a blacksnake. While I arrange for another driveshaft, I can see things in my rear-view mirrow while in 4-wheel.

And the slip collar was at the front axle differential, like the one in the attached photo. It was exactly like the one on top (except bent).

Attachments

• Tom Machines Driveshaft-20091109-1725.jpg
    Tom Machines Driveshaft-20091109-1725.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 212
sorry bud i think the az heat is getting to me i just got home from work and i looked at my 79 and its towards the axle.:chug:

sorry bud i think the az heat is getting to me i just got home from work and i looked at my 79 and its towards the axle.:chug:

Hey no problem! I appreciate you taking a look. That's how I mounted the front just now. I think the rear shaft goes in with the slip joint towards the Transfer Case .

Now all I have to do is either find a 24.5" rear driveshaft, or get the 31" one I already have shortened. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom