swapping amc 20's

swapping amc 20's

slappy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, AMC20, D30.
lifted and locked, 2004 dodge ram 2500, 2003 dodge grand caravan
i have a 85 cj AMC20 with 4.56 gears and a detroit. i found a cheap 80's waggy AMC20 . are the gears and detroit interchangable between these axles?

i have a 85 cj AMC20 with 4.56 gears and a detroit. i found a cheap 80's waggy AMC20 . are the gears and detroit interchangable between these axles?

Im going to go out on a limb and say I believe they are. The big difference between CJ and Waggy 20's is the wall thickness of the axle tubes. But I think everything in the pumpkin is the same.

that's why i want to go with the waggy AMC20 because of the tube thickness and it already has one piece axles. i was hoping i wouldn't have to buy another detroit, those things aren't cheap. thanks for the reply.

Do a little part no. shopping for each model vehicle and see if they show the same part no. Detroit or not.

One thing to remember is that none of your brake hardware will swap. You probably aren't going to swap it, but I thought I'd mention it. I was out measuring my HD20 last night and I noted the brake backing plate bolt pattern is larger on the Waggy axle than a CJ. I wanted to chop it and set it up with my Warn full float axle kit, but it doesn't look like I can do it economically, since the Warn axle kit relies on the CJ axle flange/bearing bore for mounting and sealing. It's really a bummer for me. I was looking forward to the tougher tubes.

that's why i want to go with the waggy AMC20 because of the tube thickness and it already has one piece axles. i was hoping i wouldn't have to buy another detroit, those things aren't cheap. thanks for the reply.

Oh, and yes they will! That was my plan.

Im going to go out on a limb and say I believe they are. The big difference between CJ and Waggy 20's is the wall thickness of the axle tubes. But I think everything in the pumpkin is the same.

I was going to agree with CJim7. I am pretty sure the differentials are the same.
Then I saw what Sasquach had to say. He's being logical and wants you to double check the facts. Can't argue with that.

Do a little part no. shopping for each model vehicle and see if they show the same part no. Detroit or not.

I was going to agree with CJim7. I am pretty sure the differentials are the same.
Then I saw what Sasquach had to say. He's being logical and wants you to double check the facts. Can't argue with that.

Absolutely. It's always a good idea. :)

What's the difference in width between a CJ and waggy AMC20 ????

What about the spring perches?

i think the waggy is about 3 inches wider if i remember and the spring perches will have to be moved in which gives me chance to correct pinion angle without using shims.

i will check those part numbers.

thanks everyone for your replies.

My CJ rear axle is a wide track at 54.5". Narrow track CJ is 50.5". Narrow track Wagoneer is 57.5". I'm not sure about wide track FSJ, I just know it's too wide for my application. This is a cool site. The New Jeep Tech Pages

You referenced a good idea but placed a generic link.
Did you mean this page:
Jeep Tech: Axles

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom