Swapping my 3 speed to an Auto

Swapping my 3 speed to an Auto

cww2140

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2007 F-250 AND 1979 JEEP CJ 7
Hey yawl i have a 79 CJ7 with a AMC 304 with a 3 speed in it right now. Does anyone of of any problem they have had when swapping to an auto? I was told all i need to change out is the tranny and maybe the Transfer Case . Do you know of anything else? The reason i am swapping it is becasue so my lady can drive it also. It jsut for pleasure driving nothing off road. Thanks

If you choose to do this conversion you should look for a Tf 999 automatic and Dana 300 Transfer Case . These came in 80 and up Cjs. You can also use a 727 out of a J-truck but its not really needed for a street only Jeep. You will also have to get a new rear driveshaft and maybe the front. You'll need coolant lines from the Transmission to the radiator and either a floor shifter or a automatic steering column. You'll also need the linkage that goes to the column if you choose that route.

Stay away from the th 400 that came in earlier Cjs with the QuadraTrac Transfer Case because it is full time 4 wd and will require a new rear due to the differential being offset. Im actually going to be doing an auto conversion on my Scrambler this Summer.

Hey yawl i have a 79 CJ7 with a AMC 304 with a 3 speed in it right now. Does anyone of of any problem they have had when swapping to an auto? I was told all i need to change out is the tranny and maybe the Transfer Case . Do you know of anything else? The reason i am swapping it is becasue so my lady can drive it also. It jsut for pleasure driving nothing off road. Thanks

You also may or may not need a new radiator. Some replacement radiators were meant for manual or automatic transmissions. The automatic radiator will have two inlets for the coolant lines.

You also may or may not need a new radiator. Some replacement radiators were meant for manual or automatic transmissions. The automatic radiator will have two inlets for the coolant lines.
you can buy a stand alone tranny cooler. you'll also need a flexplate instead of the flywheel currently in your jeep

you can buy a stand alone tranny cooler. you'll also need a flexplate instead of the flywheel currently in your jeep
Just make sure it is a stand alone coler and not an auxilary cooler - the stand alone ones are substantially larger because they do nat have the benefit of the normal radiator cooling... ;)

I knew Id forget something. We could also add torque converter to the list if your tranny didnt come with one. As far as a stand alone cooler Id rather have the proper radiator myself. ;) More surface area in the front of the Jeep makes me think thats the best design.
you'll also need a flexplate instead of the flywheel currently in your jeep

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom