Symptoms of a failing Ignition Control Module?

Symptoms of a failing Ignition Control Module?

gillmore

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Northern California (Petaluma, Sonoma County)
Vehicle(s)
FORMER: 1979 Jeep CJ5 w/ stock 304 V8, T-150, Dana 20 transfer case, Dana 30 Front & AMC 20 rear, MC 2100 carb, 31x10.5x15 (8" wheels), no lift (HD leaf pack), Warn 8274 winch, ~99K miles.
This week, while two hours from home, my Ignition Control Module (ICM) failed while on the freeway heading toward the vicinity of Yosemite. I got towed to a shop and all is better now, but I'm wondering if there are signs that an ICM is going bad or if it is a works-or-doesn't type of part? Were there signs I perhaps didn't notice?

Is there an easy way to diagnose (or rule out) an ICM failure myself if this happens again?

Thanks in advance.

From my experence they either work or they don't.
I carry a spare at all times now.

This week, while two hours from home, my Ignition Control Module (ICM) failed while on the freeway heading toward the vicinity of Yosemite. I got towed to a shop and all is better now, but I'm wondering if there are signs that an ICM is going bad or if it is a works-or-doesn't type of part? Were there signs I perhaps didn't notice?

Is there an easy way to diagnose (or rule out) an ICM failure myself if this happens again?

Thanks in advance.

That's one of the first items I remove from a 76'-86' CJ.
Most of the time there's no sign of a problem other than you rig won't start.
I was out trail running & stepped my front right tire over a big rock.
when I came off there was a little bounce , but no big deal.
Wrong the engine died never to start, until I snapped on a new module.:mad:
Use to you could not even test the Motorcraft module, I don't know about nowdays It's been so long since I've run the factory set up.;)
Now I run a HEI & keep a spare module in my box.
Back in the day a CJ module was about $120.00, of coarse now they are much cheaper.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom