T-15 advice.

T-15 advice.
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, AMC 304 engine, T-15 transmission, Dana 20 transfer, AMC 20 rear end, Dana 30 Front end.
Okay Jeepers, here is what brought me to your forum in the first place. I am the proud owner of an 84 CJ7 . The PO or POs have seen fit to remove the stock 6/AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and replace it with a AMC 304 twisting a T-15 . I had to remove the tranny becouse of a broken front bearing retainer. Found out that PO had failed to install the pilot bushing(DUHH!) Went ahead and rebuilt tranny while its out installed new input/drivegear shaft and finally located the right front cover, as well as all new clutch linkage(old one was out of an old cheverolet..go figure) getting ready to go back with it. Can somebody out their tell me if the the (new)single center mount with the stabilizer bolt and bushings is the standard for this application? And are the bushings suppose to clamp up tight on the mount rail, or just kind float?
Also, going to replace clutch kit, and would like to know if the 72-75 kit will suffice for this application? Problem of course is going to the parts house and trying to explain what I have.:confused:

Spent a great deal of time and money trying to find the front cover and I dont want to screw it up by being missinformed.:confused:

No sure on all the questions, or even the one I am about to answer...

I do know while doing mine, that the AMC 304 / T-15 combo used two different clutch diameter discs. Some were the 11" and some 10.5"

They were 1-1/8" 10 spline for the shaft though...

I "ASSUME" if you are planning to resurface fly wheel, and get a new whole kit including the new pressure plate too, and not just the clutch disc itself, you can pick what you want that has the right input shaft spec's

For Example:

Master Clutch Kit 3184909KM is the one I used...

It DOES NOT show the actual specs of the disc input, which I loathe about our fabulous sponsor's site, but when i ordered everything was correct for my AMC 304 / T-15 combo... :cool:

And when you order from them, you can go to our "Sponsor's tab above and follow the link and enter the "code" in the check out section of shopping cart to save 10% :D

Anyways, Like I said above, Not 100% positive that this all would pertain to you exactly or not, so I would recommend waiting for a more "experienced Jeeper" to chime in with some knowledge for you.

My linkage is the factory style, so not sure how much help I can be in that regard...

If you do go to the parts house to order instead, you can always use my specs :cool:

74 Jeep CJ5 with V8 AMC 304 4 wheel drive (because they will ask) no AC and does not dispense popcorn from the hood area... (they apparently had that option in the 70's :banana::popcorn:

All joking aside, I hope I have helped some... :cool:

:chug:
~ JR

Thanks JR, any info is good info right? Thats the worst part about getting hold of someone elses project is trying to figure out where they went wrong. I am very new to the Jeep world but fortunatly not so new to turning wrenches, so I new at least, that something went way south to cause a bearing retainer to break! ;)
Appreciate your help!

By the way, Nice Freefall pic..... Is that a Tandem?

Yeah first jump... Was the biggest high of my life... & between u me & the world in my past i tried a few :cool:

Cbeers man, happy if i helped... :chug:

Jr

Yeah, back to the issue at hand. mine has the 10.5 inch clutch and pressure plate, the fork has "ears" that ride in the groove on the release bearing coller, which I plan on replacing also as the ears are well worn and feel a little sticky when actuated. I am hoping that with the new TM mounts, engine mounts, and the correct linkage kit, and pilot bearing will insure that this little guy does its job for a long time to come. then I can start "making it my own".

And I appologize for my technical shortcomming.... as soon as my kids teach me how I will post a few pics of what I have been dealing with, then maybe you guys can spot anything that dont look right before I re-install my little tranny. :)

I know this is off the original thread, but thanks for the computer lession and forum use. I'm a new comer to the computer and net. Is there a way to save a post off the forum to my computer I have a file set up for jeep info. I've tried differant ways and want to know if there is an easier way. Thanks again for the info.

Yeah, you'll need to wait on one of the more technicaly advanced Jeepers to chime in on the save deal. Unfortunatly I'm fairly unfamiliar with these tactics as well. Sorry. :(

I know this is off the original thread, but thanks for the computer lession and forum use. I'm a new comer to the computer and net. Is there a way to save a post off the forum to my computer I have a file set up for jeep info. I've tried differant ways and want to know if there is an easier way. Thanks again for the info.

Set up folder in bookmarks for your jeep stuff and save the page to favorites/ bookmark them.

Or you could start a "word" doc ( like microsoft word, not sure specifically what opperating system you have so cant be too specific) and copy and paste the website link in your very top bar into the doc, put small discription next to it...

2 easy ways, if u still need more clarification pm me ( private message)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom