T-18 to 401 help needed

T-18 to 401 help needed
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambler
I'm in a tough spot and i need some help. I recently gathered up all the parts and pieces needed (so i thought) to swap a ford T-18 into my Scrambler, but went i went to bolt the bellhousing to the engine i found that i don't have enough clearance inside the bell to accomodate the clutch and throwout bearing stack. I am using an Advanced Adapters bellhousing part# 712569 which mates perfectly to the block but only allows 6-1/8" of clearance inside of the Bell. does anybody know if the T-176 bell offers anymore clearance?

here's my total stack:
Flywheel - 1-1/2"
clutch Disk - 3/8"
pressure Plate - 2-3/4"
throwout bearing - 1-9/16"

anybody have any advice? or ran into a similar issue.

My second question is:
Will i need to cut the floor pan to accomodate the the Transfer Case shifter when using a Dana 20 ? it sure does look like it when test fitted.

I remember hearing that the T-18 will mate up to all V8 up to the 390 but the 401 had something different.

The AMC bell housing to block bolt pattern is the same on both the I6 & V8 from 1972 on except the top center bolt on the 401 may not be drilled and tapped. I assume you have the 401 in place and that the driver’s side motor mount was not moved to go from the I6 to the V8. I don’t know what you have for a bell housing but I would try to find a stock 1976 to 1979 CJ housing (or one that has/had a T-150 behind it) as it will be drilled for both the CJ T-18 and the Ford T-18 and will be the right depth for the input shaft. (Still need the special pilot bushing for the Ford.) The Ford T-18 and the T-150 both have the Ford “butterfly” Transmission bolt pattern.

PS: The FSJ bell housing to Transmission is different.

Last edited:
The AMC bell housing to block bolt pattern is the same on both the I6 & V8 from 1972 on except the top center bolt on the 401 may not be drilled and tapped. I assume you have the 401 in place and that the driver’s side motor mount was not moved to go from the I6 to the V8. I don’t know what you have for a bell housing but I would try to find a stock 1976 to 1979 CJ housing (or one that has/had a T-150 behind it) as it will be drilled for both the CJ T-18 and the Ford T-18 and will be the right depth for the input shaft. (Still need the special pilot bushing for the Ford.) The Ford T-18 and the T-150 both have the Ford “butterfly” Transmission bolt pattern.

PS: The FSJ bell housing to Transmission is different.

I would agree. I have a 401 with a Ford T-18 mated to it. I am using the original bell housing that had a T-150 behind it when I got it. Used advance adapter parts and everything fits fine.

Jeep CJ T-18 is unique.... Identification and some facts

The FORD T-18 is your issue. The ford T-18 has a longers input shaft and the CJ T-18 has short input shaft. The CJ shaft is very short and is why the CJ T-18 is worth more money. The front input shaft can be changed to the short CJ but its pricey. I think the input shaft and rev and 1st need to be changed if I remember right. Novac will have the parts. I would also consider getting the correct T-18

The adapter from the T-18 to Transfer Case the Dana 20 and the Dana 300 is also another expensive piece if you do not have it already. I think these are close to $400 if you do not have them.

I have a T-18 with Dana 20 combo if interested. I purchased for a spare for my T-18 . But the granny gear is not the same I have the 6 : 1 and the spare is 4 : 1 ......... so I am going to sell mine if you need one. Came out a CJ5 because they needed auto Transmission due to injury. I have cleaned it up and appears to be all there. Needs a shifter for Transmission ($50 new at novac) and needs the vert shaft and knob for the Dana 20 . The long horizontal shaft (unique to CJ) are there and complete. The unit is clean in and out asking $800 if you are intersted.

The input shaft for the CJ T-18 is, shortest of all the T18s and is 7.43" long.

Here are some other T-18 Jeep notes:
Jeep T-18 Identify Facts & Model Descriptions

Jeep T-18 IDENTIFICAION:
1….Has Rectangle, Flat Side Top cover mount casing
2….Texas mount pattern to the bell housing, narrow on drivers side.
3….CJ version has 7.43” stick out from the Transmission wall, shortest of all versions made

Granny Gears 17 & 23 teeth, the first input gear, 17 teeth is 6.32 and 23 teeth is 4.03

Confirmed the T-18 1b used in jeep, novak thought it was all narrow but mine is Wide Ratio Per Yr???

Top Mount Cover…. Jeep is Sq and the Ford and IH both have a bump on one side

Parts Via Novak
New straight shifter… $54 via novak and the tip end has lots of the play, so good to get new.
Parts are avail for T-18 even the granny gears and the input gears are the trickest to do since there are many combos. Novak has the both granny gears.

Re: Jeep CJ T-18 is unique.... Identification and some facts

The FORD T-18 is your issue. The ford T-18 has a longers input shaft and the CJ T-18 has short input shaft. The CJ shaft is very short and is why the CJ T-18 is worth more money. The front input shaft can be changed to the short CJ but its pricey. I think the input shaft and rev and 1st need to be changed if I remember right. Novac will have the parts. I would also consider getting the correct T-18

The Ford T-18 transmissions generally used for replacement in a CJ behind an AMC I6 or V8 have a SHORTER, not longer input shaft than the CJ T-18 version, hence the need for the special pilot bushing. The bushing makes up for the shorter Ford shaft. Per Novak the input shaft on the Ford T-18 has a stick out of 6-1/2” while the CJ T-18 is 7.43”.

As far as value the CJ T-18 is a more rare bird than the Ford T-18 . The CJ T-18 was only offered as a factory option from 1972 to 1979 behind the I6 except in 1979 when the T-18 could also be ordered behind the V8, and the coveted 6.32 first gear version was only available starting sometime in 1976 thru 1979. I don’t know the number of CJ units originally sold but it has to be a much reduced number compared to the Ford T-18 as the Ford built a ton of pickups with the T-18 over the years. Add to that the fact that the Ford T-18 is going to require some adaptors that the CJ versions will not, which of course cost money, the value of the Ford T-18 is further reduced from the CJ version. Two adaptors are required to bolt a Ford T-18 into a CJ, the special pilot bushing referenced above and a rear shaft/adaptor plate kit as the Ford versions are set up for 2 wheel drive. The rear adaptor plate on the CJ version is in fact a part of the CJ Transmission and will bolt up to the large hole Spicer 18 , Dana 20 , and the 1980 Scout Dana 300 that came behind the T-18 /19.

All of this assumes you have the right bell house. The 1976 thru 1979 CJ bell housing will be drilled and tapped for both the Ford and the CJ T18s.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom