T-18 to T-18

T-18 to T-18

twcj8

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2500HD GMC 2wd, 83cj8; 258/176 stock, dana 300 456 gears, amc20 w/1pc warn winch, custom cage, 3.5" lift, 35x12.5x15. 68cj5; v-6/t-14, t-18 transfer, 3.73 gears, dana 30 frt w/disk brakes & power sterring, dana44 rear.
Presently have a T-14 /T-18 , would like to know what's involved in a T-18 /T-18 set up. Would like the 4th gear, but also thinking about the Overdrive set up. As gas continues its upward climb. Comments please, thanks tw

I think you mean you have a dana 18 tcase. I just finished up replacing my T-14 with a T-18 . It all depends on the tranny you find. You may need to get a tcase adapter, and a new input shaft. There are so many different options on the T-18 . I was lucky and found a ford one that had everything to bolt right up to my cj. Novak has good info on the differences. If not there are alot of write ups on the internet

May have confused so folks, wife says I'm real good at that. What I have is the T-14 3sp/hooked up to the Spicer 18 Transfer Case , should have put TC-18. Anyway, bottom line; what's involved in mating the T-14 to the splicer 18 Transfer Case . Don't want the loose the ability to put an Overdrive on the 18 somewhere down the road. Sorry for not making myself clear. Thanks again, tw

Still screwed this question up.:mad: Can't blame this on anyone but self. Can you put a T-18 to a dana 18. Is there an adapter involved, not possible, or direct bolt up(haha)? Want to leave the 18 because down the road would like to put in the Overdrive . The T-18 came from a jeep, but is hooked to a Dana 20 . Now I have read this about 10 times and I think I've asked what I intented to ask when I started this post. Maybe I need to put down the coffee cup & pick up the brown bottle. Sorry folks but when you get my age and only talk to youself, sometimes confusion sets in. Thanks again, tw.

I think the dana 18 and 20 have the same adapter on the back of the tranny. So it should just bolt up. You probably just need to make sure that you have the right bull gear on the back of the tranny. If the T-18 came off of a cj you should be ok with input shafts but if it came off of a truck you may need to swap it out. A bellhousing off of a T-176 is what i used for mine. Other than that its pretty much a bolt on deal.

There are 5 versions of the Spicer 18 . The 5th generation shares the same case as the Dana 20 which has a large (about 4”) center hole. The small hole 18 is about 3”. It is a little unclear as to usage but primarily the large holes were part of the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 V6 drivetrains. All Spicer 18s and Dana 20s input gears are 6 spline except some (but not all) versions of the T-14 which are 10 spline. So, if the large hole 18 & 20 cases are the same, they will bolt to each other’s transmissions but I believe the 20 uses a 29 tooth input gear and the large hole 18 uses a 26 tooth gear.
If you have a Jeep T-18 most but not all were bolted to the Dana 20 and assuming you have a tranny that was bolted to a 20 it comes with the right adaptor. In reality the adaptor is part of the Transmission . I haven’t bolted an T-18 to a Spicer 18 but it would appear you can based on use of a large hole 5th generation 18 Transfer Case and the right tooth count on the input gear.

Guess I'm going to have see this to know. Here's the story; a guy called me because he knows I mess up jeep stuff. Said he had just completed a power train swap, and now wants to sell his old setup. Has a AMC 304 , T-18 , & the Dana 20 all from is 79 CJ7 . In the last several months he had spent $xxx.xx on the Transmission , and Dana 20 . I'm really only want the T-18 , but he would really like to ditch the entire unit @once, we all understand that. More room for him, less for me.

Guess I'm going to have see this to know. Here's the story; a guy called me because he knows I mess up jeep stuff. Said he had just completed a power train swap, and now wants to sell his old setup. Has a AMC 304 , T-18 , & the Dana 20 all from is 79 CJ7 . In the last several months he had spent $xxx.xx on the Transmission , and Dana 20 . I'm really only want the T-18 , but he would really like to ditch the entire unit @once, we all understand that. More room for him, less for me.
If you drop the Dana 18 for the Dana 20 you will need to change the rear axle. The Dana 18 is offset, the Dana 20 is not.

Just look around on line in the jeep for sale adds you can find guy selling pretty much any part you need. There are 2 versions of the T-18 that I know of 1 with and 1 without the granny gear. I have the granny really nice to have the lower gear.

If the donor jeep is a 1979 CJ then the T-18 will be the coveted low wide ratio 6.32 granny low.

CJ T18s:
1972 to sometime in 1976 = close ratio (4.03:1)
Sometime in 1976 to 1976 – wide ratio (6.32:1)

Ford T-18 :
1967 to 1984 = wide ratio (6.32:1)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom