t-4 or t-5 ?

t-4 or t-5 ?

firefly

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 cj-5
I was given a Transmission . the guy told me it was from an AMC. There's no tailshaft. It's got 13-51-097-901 on the case.There is no shifter on it and I can't tell if it seems to be a 4 or 5 speed.How can I tell? Thanks

T-4 is a 4 speed
T-5 is a 5 speed
try shifting it over by reverse and see if there is also a 5th
Does it have a stub of a shifter? Most of the shifter is removable except for a stub. It might be hard to shift with the stub. The T-4 and T-5 use the same case. It would be very hard to tell the difference without shifting it or opening it. Look for an identification tag.

Edit: Here's what the shift lever looks like on a T-5 . If the stub is still on theT5 can you shift it with a pipe or square steel bar?
dynamicimage.ashx

Last edited:
I tried shifting it with the stub. I would like to think there is a better way besides opening it up,I'll try again and count revolutions at the tail I guess.

the T-4 and T-5 look identical.
They are exactly the same. The are made with the same case. Inside that case they may put 4 forward gears or 5. I wish I had an easy way to tell them apart but it don't.
Is there a tag under one of the bolts?

CJKrawler is right those casing numbers are for a T-5
I googled them
You have a 5 speed

Count the splines on the shaft, I think it sb 10 if you want to use it, if its 14 spline you will need a new clutch kit or at least disk. I'm too lazy to look up what size the disk is or the year you have, but I'm sure you can google.:chug:

Wait a minute. You have a '74 CJ5 and you were given a T-5 Transmission ? That wont work unless you also have the Dana 300 Transfer Case that came with the T-5 .
You aren't planning on putting that T-5 into your CJ5 , are you? Your '74 has a Dana 20 Transfer Case . The Dana 20 expects to be mated up to a Transmission that has a big gear sticking out the back of the tranny on the output shaft.
The Dana 20 expects the output shaft of the tranny to fit into the TCase. It's a much different setup. Not compatible.

Last edited:
No,I've got a t-18a to put in the cj.This T-4 or 5 was lying on his garage floor and he was going to scrap it. I thought I could maybe get him a few bucks for it. If I knew what it was.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom