T-5 tranny issues

T-5 tranny issues

Weavershaw

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ-7, 67 Kaiser M715
I need some advice. My 86 CJ7 has worn out two T-5 tranny's the same way in 6 months. The failures seems to have been preceded both times by an extended 4th gear run (around 20-30 miles at about 65-75mph). The tranny starts making noise like a lower engine noise, even corisponding with engine speed, but completely disappears in 4th gear. The first time, I limped around for about another two days before a loud bang followed by horrendous vibrations made my swap out the unit. The first tranny, I was using 80w-90 gear oil, and assumed that was the reason for the failure. The second one, I was using Dextron ATF. I changed both types of fluid religiously, and never noticed any signs of water. Any help and advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!:chug:

I need some advice. My 86 CJ7 has worn out two T-5 tranny's the same way in 6 months. The failures seems to have been preceded both times by an extended 4th gear run (around 20-30 miles at about 65-75mph). The tranny starts making noise like a lower engine noise, even corisponding with engine speed, but completely disappears in 4th gear. The first time, I limped around for about another two days before a loud bang followed by horrendous vibrations made my swap out the unit. The first tranny, I was using 80w-90 gear oil, and assumed that was the reason for the failure. The second one, I was using Dextron ATF. I changed both types of fluid religiously, and never noticed any signs of water. Any help and advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!:chug:
The T-5 and the SR/4 are well known P.O.S.. Sorry to be the one to have to break the news to you. I would suggest a swap. A T-176 4 speed is an excellent transmission for a stock to mildly modified CJ, that's spends most of the time on the street. If you feel more hardcore, I would suggest something like BW T-18 with a compound low first gear. Neither are really cheap solutions, but you won't be replacing them often. A BW T-18 would likely out last the rest of the Jeep.

X2, sorry man, but Longhorn's on the money. They suck. If I were you, I would not go the T/SR4 tranny route again. Take the good advice and locate the far superior T-176 / 177 as a direct swap in. If you can find a good T-18 all the better.

A T-5 is not as bad as an SR4 Its a T-4 with Overdrive .There used in 5.0 Mustangs so they can take some abuse.

I dont know what the problem is but if you want an Overdrive trans look at the AX15/nv3500 from a newer YJ/TJ.They are pretty good transmissions with Overdrive and bolt up with minor work.

The T-176 /177 is a great transmission aswell.The T-18 will reguire an adaptor for the Dana 300 or run the Dana 20 .All options will require driveshaft changes.

Just as i thought my mate was the only one with this problem for sure he will need a loan soon as he keeps replacing short monthly spans.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks