T15 Transmission Noise

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Hi All,
I just bought my first Jeep. 1974 CJ5 with a AMC 304 V-8.

I got a sweet deal so knew I'd need to do some tinkering...

So the question: On the T-15 Transmission , I'm experiencing a loud Grind / humming noise while in first and second gear that goes away in 3rd. Other notable points, though possibly unrelated, is: Hear movement while clutch engaged and stick out of gear, clutch unengaged out of gear, but with clutch engaged as son as i place the stick in gear the noise goes away without releasing clutch at all.

Just replaced fluids in Tranny, Engine, Transfer Case , and front / rear ends. Greased all certs and bunch more this last weekend. There was metal shavings in the Transmission drain plug's magnet. Not huge chunks, but shavings.

I'm thinking Re-build of the tranny. Possibly a new 1st and 2nd gear... Any thoughts? Also on a scale of 1-10 I'm around a 7 as far as mechanical skills, I think I will have no problem rebuilding it, but anyone have prior experience that would think otherwise?

JR

Sorry... should also mention it does the noise in reverse as well.

I had a very similar problem in my T-150 . For me, it needed a Transmission rebuild (gears were ok) and a new clutch kit. The previous owner said it had been making the noise for a long time -- and except for the noise, it worked fine. My concern was that it would stop working "fine" when I really needed it or was very far from home. If you search, you'll find some good info on this site that will help you determine if it is within the scope of your skills. I chose to pay a pro to do it -- which was good for me since some of the new parts failed after a couple hundred miles and it all had to come apart again (no additional cost to me).

The only that comes to mind would be a rear case bearing that had excessive lateral play.

I chose to pay a pro to do it -- which was good for me since some of the new parts failed after a couple hundred miles and it all had to come apart again (no additional cost to me).

That's a good point... I guess it will depend what i get quoted. Here in California, if you even say Transmission near a mechanics shop you get charged for it... :cool:

And Priceg: That would be included in the rebuild kit if I'm not mistaken. I believe i seen them in the kit i was looking at...

Thanks Both,
~ JR

I rebuilt my T-150 on my own. It was pretty simple if you have a few tools. Yours can't be a whole lot different. Buy a kit, do a lot of research on the internet on rebuilding it, find the FSM and start. Take your time and make sure that everything is really clean when putting it back together. If you have questions, ask. Someone here or on other forums, has done it, and will offer advice and tips.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom