T150 leak - is this normal?

T150 leak - is this normal?

nctom

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ 7, 258 i6, 3 speed
Hey guys,

I am doing my clutch and ready to reinstall the Transmission . I had to remove the Transfer Case due to the weight of the combined Transfer Case /tranny. When I removed one of the Transfer Case bolts, oil from the Transmission started coming out.

Once they were separated, I dumped a little oil in the Transmission to verify the leaky bolt hole. Once the Transfer Case is bolted on, it doesn't leak at all. I just wondered if this represents a problem in the Transmission .

Thanks for your input!
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,012
Last edited:
Yes that is normal, and depending on what year you have the Transmission and Transfer Case share oil so be careful which gasket you put on it. I just did a Transmission and Transfer Case rebuild on my 79 and the kit came with 2 gaskets one that allowed them to share and one that blocked all the passages. I had to call the company and find out which to use. There is a caution I would give make sure what ever gasket you use seals around the low/reverse counter shaft in the Transmission or the same passages that allow for oil sharing will allow for oil leaking and you won't notice till the Transmission is completely full and it is no slow leak its a steady pour and it looks like it is coming from the bolt you where talking about.

Just saw your picture. missed it before yours looks like one of the ones that doesn't share oil. But yes that bolt hole is the same opens directly into the bottom of the Transmission just don't put a long bolt in it or you will have some intersesting noises and the next time you go to take it out it might not come out.

Great, I'll try to do the re-assembly this weekend. Thanks for the details.
Tom

Just a heads up if you can I would suggest installing the Transfer Case on the Transmission before you put it in, or put wire around the output gear to hold it in. It can fall out and if it does it will be a rough weekend as you will then have to disassemble it and find all the roller bearings that fell out. I didn't know this luckily I still had it on the table rebuilding it at the time. The Transfer Case holds it in. If you dont have a jack or 3 healthy guys to help you this is difficult but pulling up the shifter panel and using a hoist works really well.

Just a heads up if you can I would suggest installing the Transfer Case on the Transmission before you put it in, or put wire around the output gear to hold it in. It can fall out and if it does it will be a rough weekend as you will then have to disassemble it and find all the roller bearings that fell out. I didn't know this luckily I still had it on the table rebuilding it at the time. The Transfer Case holds it in. If you dont have a jack or 3 healthy guys to help you this is difficult but pulling up the shifter panel and using a hoist works really well.

I would 2 nd this whole post... With the gear oil out, a jack and a buddy, you should be able to mate them before installing back in the jeep! :chug:
And good luck my friend!:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom