T176 grinding in reverse

T176 grinding in reverse

curtscat

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 258, T176, Dana 300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1991 Mercury Cougar.
I just picked up this Jeep this summer. The prior owner used it to plow his driveway. Reverse gear is grinding. Is this a typical problem with this tranny, and is it repairable? Were can a person get the parts?

Thanks for any input.
Curt.

Thanks CJcrawler for that link. I will probably just drop the tranny out and tear into it. I pulled the top off today and found nothing that looked out of place. It looks like the reverse gears are down below, and not being able to be seen from the top.

does it grind when going into gear or all of the time? mine grinds a little going into gear, but i know for a fact that the bearings are wore out, and the syncronizers are bad too. so it needs a rebuild. does it make noise in 1-3 gear but quiet in 4th?

It grinds and lurches will going backwards.
The forward gears seem to be ok.

it's not hard to rebuild, need to find a few pullers and such but that is the hard part. I guess if it spent a lot of time going from 1st to reverse it could make reverse a little ragged. and there is no problem with 1st.
the only time mine ever ground ( grinded?) made a bad noise, was when the clutch was set too far down so it didn't fully disengage.:cool:

Is there a repair manual someplace other than the breakdown?

the factory service manual is pretty good Haynes is not as good but would still get you over the high spots and Chilton's doesn't talk about manual transmissions at all.:cool:

Is there a repair manual someplace other than the breakdown?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom