T176 Problems

T176 Problems

Bubba Gill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7, 1982 CJ7
Me and the wife jumped in the 82 CJ7 with a T-176 Transmission and it was stuck in 4th and would not come out. I have took the top of the trany off and the gears look fine. All the forks look good but Reverse. It has some wear on it but it looks bad to me. Any info would be great. Thanks

mine did that and I had to replace the shift handle. remove the handle, not the entire top and check the position of the shift rods. neutral should have both notches lined up. If they get out of sync it ends up in fourth and won't come out until the notches are lined up again, you can line them up with a long screw driver through the hole left after the shifter is removed. Mine would mess up mainly when I tried to go into reverse but some time it would screw up in trafic as well, great fun.:cool:

Me and the wife jumped in the 82 CJ7 with a T-176 Transmission and it was stuck in 4th and would not come out. I have took the top of the trany off and the gears look fine. All the forks look good but Reverse. It has some wear on it but it looks bad to me. Any info would be great. Thanks

Mine done this a few weeks back, I just had to pull out shifting lever and take off top of Transmission and line everything back up to neutral and reinstall top and lever. They make a spring kit, they sell on ebay, for around $15 that holds the lever down in the Transmission , I had to replace mine because spring was wore out. I hope this helps.

for me it was that little "lolly pop" on the end of the stick. Too many years and too many shifts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom