tapping in tranny

tapping in tranny

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
I was out cruisin' yesterday when I started hearing a tapping noise. I came home, jacked her up & checked the tires for rocks. No rocks. Checked the front end & replaced the driver's side tie rod end. Today I jacked the rear up & the tapping seems to be coming from the tranny. It's louder in forward gears than reverse & speeds up when you accerate, slows down when you decelerate. Any ideas?
Thanks

chipped a tooth on a gear, maybe?

Cj sent his rambo barbie doll over to steal parts and you started driving before he was done:laugh:

check all of your u-joints

ASE mechanic in the neighborhood said it sounds like the lower end to him. She has 100K miles. Does his answer make sense? I'm gonna start pullin' the tranny tomorrow.

ASE mechanic in the neighborhood said it sounds like the lower end to him. She has 100K miles. Does his answer make sense? I'm gonna start pullin' the tranny tomorrow.
Before I pulled the tranny completely, I would just pull the shaft and then run it in gear to be sure! :)

If it only makes the sound when in gear it would not be the lower end of the motor. If your bearings are going out you would hear it in N. also.
Are you sure you don't have an exaust leak or a bad u-joint.
Not to change the subject but did you get your gauges working?

No, gauges ain't working. I have ordered a new speedo. Pulled the rear driveshaft, still have the tapping noise. Changed the engine oil & filter. Went from straight 30W to straight 40W + Lucus oil additive. Still have the tapping noise. Got a stethoscope & checked up & down from the fan to the transfer case. The tapping is the loudest in the transfer case.

It's the transfer case. Drained the tranny & transfer case, steel all around the transfer drain plug.

It's the transfer case. Drained the tranny & transfer case, steel all around the transfer drain plug.
Sorry to hear that CD, a Dana 300 is a pretty bullet proof TCase. They are also pretty easy to rebuild though...

It sounds like you have access to a good shop and a great selection of tools, are you going to give it a shot?

You can pickup a master rebuild kit from Noval for $223. -->> Parts for the Jeep & IH Dana 300 Transfer Cases

Rebuild kit is outta reach @ this moment. Another member of DJA has offered to help me rebuild it, and a second member has 1 for $100.xx.

That's great! I hate for you to have to replace it but I'm happy you found one (and some help)! :)

CJs barbie doll strikes again. :eek: Shame the 300 went out. Its nice at least that you can get every single part for em.Take a look at jbconversions.com they show you step by step how to rebuild a Dana 300 /convert it to a 4to1:chug:

Thanks guys. I got another for $100.xx. Seller is in DE & said he would make it good if I had any problems. Gotta love them CJ fans!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks