The propane advantage

The propane advantage

CJim7

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7 - 430hp 401 on propane - T18a/D300 twinsticked, Superior axles, Lockers, full boatsides, Warn 8274, OBA, 36" TSL's.
When I first contemplated a propane conversion on my 401, propane was dirt cheap...Im talking under $1/gallon. :eek: (this was a few years back mind you)
So by the time I finally got around to it (this winter) propane had jumped to a stupid-high price of $2.89/gal. Well, that was about the same price as gasoline at the time. Other then the obvious fuel injection properties, I was second-guessing my sanity at this point :wtf:

Since then, it has dropped to $2.20/gal and now costs me a little over $15 to fill up a forklift tank. Thats a bit over $30 to fill up my Jeep. :D

My sanity remains intact :D

I looked into this conversion a few years ago for my Dodge pickup and apperantly we have all missed the boat :( years ago when the carbed pickups where being sold the muncipalities where running propane and they where using injector hats over the top of the carb I know that it has a higher octane rating and runs a much cleaner engine :chug: I say if you can find room for some pressurized tanks on a CJ go for it:chug: itrr should work great for a non DD

I looked into this conversion a few years ago for my Dodge pickup and apperantly we have all missed the boat :( years ago when the carbed pickups where being sold the muncipalities where running propane and they where using injector hats over the top of the carb I know that it has a higher octane rating and runs a much cleaner engine :chug: I say if you can find room for some pressurized tanks on a CJ go for it:chug: itrr should work great for a non DD
I am absolutely thrilled with this conversion. Being at the low end of the carbon scale, my engine runs cleaner with no buildup...the oil remains clean. My 401 also runs about 20 degrees cooler which is a huge thing for me. The 401 tends to run hot in stock form and with the work I had done to it, it was a nightmare keeping it running cool. The conversion solved that problem.

Performance wise, I am getting more power then when I was using the Quadrajet...my kit came off of a 500hp 383 stroker so I feel I am getting every bit of the 430hp my engine dynos at.
It starts up and idles perfectly, does not cut out at any angle I have put it at, restarts instantly after stall, and mileage is comparable to gasoline.

I highly recommend this conversion to anyone running a carbed engine that doesnt want to deal with the computer/wiring nightmare of standard fuel injection.
Yes, you need to keep the tanks inboard which means you lose passenger space. This is the only drawback I have encountered.

years ago when the carbed pickups where being sold the muncipalities where running propane and they where using injector hats over the top of the carb

Back in the late 70's when gas went up to $0.75 a gal. I went to a duel fuel system as you discribe above.
I used the propane off road and had the option of running gas if I ran out of pane. The only disadvange I can see is finding it when your in a strange town.

Another big attraction to this conversion is the simplicity. The "carb" is nothing more then an air cleaner with a couple of jets and a throttle plate. The fuel is vaporized before it ever gets there so metering is done beforehand. It's a simple matter of vaporizing the liquid propane which is done during it's trip through the regulator.

I considered a dual set up, but todays kits rob power and mileage.

Another advantage was the removal of the gas tank gave me loads of extra ground clearance at the backend :)

We had a couple of pickups on propane when I was a kid (teenager). If I remember right, Dad kept it going until the government got wise and starting hitting everyone using it on the road for the same taxes that were in place for gasoline. That brought the price of propane in line with gas and the savings went out the window.

Jeff

I go to U-Haul they give a Highway mileage discount to me for propane being used to propel a vehicle. My 79 Ford runs on propane.

The only reason I haven't thought of doing it more seriously on my CJ is is I'm afraid to run out on a trail somewhere :eek:, although a bbq style tank for emergency might help...

That and I'm not sure where i'd put the tank, as I want all passenger seating still...:cool:

:chug:
~ JR

can you fabricate a tank to go in the stock location?

can you fabricate a tank to go in the stock location?
The problem with that is you are dealing with pressurized tanks. It is imperative to keep them protected from any kind of impact. The stock gastank location is susceptable to impact, therefore the tanks need to be kept more protected...

Hey Jim I hate to bring up an old post but where do you have your tank mounted? Im considering running pane since my CJ will be stretched 4-6 inches in the rear. I have a pretty stout bumper and my rear cross memeber will be fabbed out of c channel so Im pretty sure it will be protected if I were to run it in the stock location.. what type of tank do you run? and does it need to be removed to refill it?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom