Engine Throttle body fuel injection question

Engine Throttle body fuel injection question

Bert B.

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 304, NP435 4 speed, AMC20 411's track lock w/Moser 1 pc axles, D20 w/power lock in front
Looking to improve the drivability of my '78 CJ5 with a stock AMC 304 . I plan installing a 2 barrel, Holly Sniper throttle body fuel injection. Is there any advantage to the 4 barrel, (besides the obvious added power) that would justify the added expense of a new manifold?
Like I said, I want to improve drivability, not increase hp.
Also, I've heard that the in-tank fuel pump is the only way to go. Anyone have other opinions?

Thanks,
Bert

:welcome:

There is no advantage of the four venturi over the two venturi as long as you meet or exceed the min. CFM needed. The issue is your intake (as you stated.)
As for intank vs external, members here have done both installs.
Intank is more complex but pump longevity is extended due to the fuel acting as a coolant.
External, less complex and less pump life but easy to exchange.

There are several threads here.discussing the Sniper system.

I had the Holley 2BBL system for a while and hated it. Would never idle stably, cold starts were unreliable (EFI should fix that). Repeated error codes of various nature. I know others have had good success with it, and my experience was years ago with an earlier model system of theirs. As CJ stated, if the system you buy is rated for the HP you're targeting, or your engine is capable of making, then a 2BBL is fine. I did the external fuel pump mounted along a frame rail near the rear of the Jeep. You could hear it most of the time which I didn't like, and as CJ stated, lasted about 3 years and died. My current rig has an in-tank Walbro pump and has been there about 4-5 years now with zero issues. I did cut an opening in the floor over the tank for an access panel to get at it if/when needed in the future without dropping the tank.

Here's a thread showing some pics of the in-tank setup: In-Tank Pump Setup

1726844050453.png

Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to the 2 barrel, and I like the idea of an access hole to change the in tank pump. That's the best way to insure the pump will never go out!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom