Timing Cover Oil Seal.

Timing Cover Oil Seal.

lrentz

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ-7
Ok, I am about to take a sledge hammer to it. :confused: I tapped the old oil seal out. I did it with a screw driver from the inside of the cover out. I absolutely can not get the new oil seal in. I laid the timing cover with the gasket side down, cleaned and lubed the sides of the timing cover and lubed the sides of the oil seal. Took a block of wood and tried tapping it in. It will not go in. Now I think I have messed the oil seal up.

It looks like the original oil seal was brass maybe. Then new one is not. I dont know if that makes a difference or not. It came from crown.

It does get tapped in from the outside of the cover correct? The outside lip on the timing cover is at 90 degrees. If you look at the inside of the cover, it has a very small chamfered edge. Shoot. I am not sure. Any ideas, tricks?

Thanks,
lrentz

I'll let one of the amc guys amswer which way it goes in, BUT IMO crown parts are not well made (china junk), you might want to go to napa and buy another one and see if it fits.

On my 76 it can only be removed and replaced from the inside. Anybody else?

I had already gone to advanced auto to buy another seal. I had to by the whole timing gasket kit to get the seal. $17 bucks.

This one is made by National. Looks a little different but I am waiting to see what you guys say on the install, "front or back" before I screw this one up too.

I am thinking on going to harbor freight and seeing if the have a seal installer though.

I am leaning towards the install from the back of the cover since it has a little chamfered edge. My thoughts are that is to get the seal started into the hole? What do you think?

The first "original" seal I took out the front. The middle I tried unsuccessfully tapping into the front which I bent the rim just a little. So I bought the third one at Advanced Auto, the "orange" one. It is different than the other two. It has a flat front face. I am just unsure how to put it in. From the front or the back.

You can see on the timing cover that the front is a 90 degree edge. The back has a slight chamfered edge. It seems to me that the flat face seal may have an issue going thru the back. I don't know, can someone tell me which way its supposed to go in?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 175
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 147
On my 76 it can only be removed and replaced from the inside. Anybody else?

The haynes manual also shows it going in form the inside (motor side)

I think Haynes is just showing where it is located, Also some may go in from outside but mine can only be from inside due to a very small lip on outside ( wish I had taken a pic) :bang:.

I'll let one of the amc guys amswer which way it goes in, BUT IMO crown parts are not well made (china junk), you might want to go to napa and buy another one and see if it fits.

X2 on that.:eek:

I think Haynes is just showing where it is located, Also some may go in from outside but mine can only be from inside due to a very small lip on outside ( wish I had taken a pic) :bang:.

When you say lip are you talking about a little 45 degree chamfered edge? I have that edge on the inside of the timing cover. On the outside, it is a sharp 90 degree edge. That is why I think it may go in from the inside. I just dont feel like wasting another seal or messing up my timing cover.

Seals should only be hit from the outside!
That seal should be going on the outside

Look at it as a wheel bearing seal the spring is always to the inside, This is how the seal actually WORKS and doesn't leak

Now if you look at the outside of the seal "the flat side" It should make sense to you, If you have any questions give me a call
Phone # in your inbox

Good luck
Ryan

If I understand what you are saying, I am not talking about hitting the seal from the inside of the rubber seal. I am talking about installing from the inside of the cover or from the outside of the cover.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom