tire / gear question

tire / gear question

ga78cj5

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5 with 258 I6 and t150 3 speed manual trans d20 case d30 front amc20 rear
My Jeep has a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6, T-150 ? 3 speed, AMC20 rear, Dana 30 front with 3.73 gears.
It is SOA with 4" lift springs and 38x15.50 tsl super swampers.
Does anyone have any info on what gear ratio I would need to gain more torque to the wheels. I don't have the cash right now to do a v8 swap but I can probably swing enough cash for gears though.......thanks

I believe the tallest you can go with the AMC20 is 4.88s. But if you intend on keeping those 38s you need to be looking for a set of 1 ton axles, instead of regearing. Dana 30 and the AMC20 will not hold up to them big tires, they like 35s and smaller.

Sent from my DROID2

I believe the tallest you can go with the AMC20 is 4.88s. But if you intend on keeping those 38s you need to be looking for a set of 1 ton axles, instead of regearing. Dana 30 and the AMC20 will not hold up to them big tires, they like 35s and smaller.

D44s will stand up to 38s. Best to run lockers and brain usage on the throttle. I run 4.56 gears and like them. I did run 36s for years and did twist a Dana 44 rear shaft. But that was due to a Traclok Limited slip that spun and didn't lock up.

If you go with a V8 and plan on putting on a show, best to go with D60s or equivalent.

Nice calculators MN CJ7 . The middle one is great. :)

Thanks

If im going through the trouble of an axle swap I wouldn't swap in an axle that is going to be at its limit when installed, id wanna be able tio give it hell for all of the trouble I went through to make it work. Jmho

Sent from my DROID2

I'm going to the local junk yards this weekend to look for a set of axles. I would like to keep the narrow track though. Does anyone know what models of Jeeps came stock with narrow track axles with 4.88 or lower gears (front axle- passenger side drop). Once I find the axles the v8 is my next step.

I'm going to the local junk yards this weekend to look for a set of axles. I would like to keep the narrow track though. Does anyone know what models of Jeeps came stock with narrow track axles with 4.88 or lower gears (front axle- passenger side drop). Once I find the axles the v8 is my next step.
It won't be easy to find a pair of axles with gears that low. Flaties had gearing that low but best you can expect from a CJ5 or 7 would be Dana 44 /30 with 4.1 gearing. Now a PO may have installed 4.88s but they'll be very hard to find.
If you really want gearing that low you will have to have it regeared.

Going to pick up a set of 8 lug Dana 44 d60 with 4.10 gears from a Jeep truck Sunday. Going to outboard the front springs after I research it a little more. Took the Jeep to a mud bog a couple weeks ago and almost laid it on its side....now I'm thinking the wide track isn't such a bad idea after all.

It won't be easy to find a pair of axles with gears that low. Flaties had gearing that low but best you can expect from a CJ5 or 7 would be Dana 44 /30 with 4.1 gearing. Now a PO may have installed 4.88s but they'll be very hard to find.
If you really want gearing that low you will have to have it regeared.

Sorry, but need to put in a little correction for you.

All the CJ5 's came with the 5.38's, at least up untill the end of '65. The 4:88's were an option
I believe the 3B's were also geared that way.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom