tire size and axle suggestions?

tire size and axle suggestions?

kufd

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-7, and honda accord
feedback/opinions please.

do you think its ok to run 35inch tires on Dana 30 and AMC 20?
(considering that I only ride sand, mud, and mountain trails. No rock crawling, and no heavy gas pedal)

Yo sure know how to ask the 'subjective' questions... :laugh:

My personal opinion is... You can run just about any tire and wheel combo on just about anything, it just depends on how much you want to keep fixing it! :D

IMHO, if you baby it, you would probably be OK for a while, but only if you upgraded the AMC 20 to one piece axles and reinforce those tubes. The AMC 20 is a pretty stout diff after you do that.

The Dana 30 would probably be OK for a while but I bet you go through a few axle u-joints... You could always put in HD U-Joints when they needed replacement but then your weak point jumps to a different section of the diff.

You just have to decide what is a good compromise for you. I mean, I have seen Dana 60's with broken hubs where it was though they would never break on the vehicle they were on. Nothing is finite...

You did say you have a SB chevy right? I bet you'll put your foot in it more then you think! :)

I can't say much for the Model 20, but my Dana 30 has stood up to me racing the CJ for a couple years ago. I run 35x12.50 Super Swamper tires.

th_e1f02e47.png

I am going to build mine up with disc brakes, (maybe) Chromoly axles, HD joints, and a locker of some kind (probably an OX locker).
This is only because I moved to OK, and there is little Mud running here, but there is a LOT of rock crawling around here.

As was said about the AMC20; install 1 piece axles and reinforce the tubes.

Dana 30 will be fine as long as you don't put a locker in it. If you lock it then you'll need stronger axle shafts but you're still probably pushing the overall strength.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks