Tranny Conversion

Tranny Conversion

BLennon

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8 with stock 258 (Mileage Unknown... atleast 120,000)
T-176 Tranny
Hey Guys,

It looks like I may have the opportunity to get a good deal on a nsg 370 6 speed tranny from a 2005 Wrangler. I know very little so I'm looking for help... I have a '82 Scrambler with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and T-176 . I'm never planning on doing any real off roading and would like a tranny with Overdrive . Is it possible to throw in the 6 speed. What else would I need? And could I get it off the TJ along with the tranny? Thanks a lot for any help. All this jeep will be doing is a little cruising every once and awhile.

Bobby

Last edited:
Do you know what gear ratio are in your rears? If you have 2.73 like alot of Scramblers out there you have better options for less money. Ive "heard" problems with shift forks but have no first hand info.
Hey Guys,

It looks like I may have the opportunity to get a good deal on a nsg 370 6 speed tranny from a 2005 Wrangler. I know very little so I'm looking for help... I have a '82 Scrambler with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and T-176 . I'm never planning on doing any real off roading and would like a tranny with Overdrive . Is it possible to throw in the 6 speed. What else would I need? And could I get it off the TJ along with the tranny? Thanks a lot for any help. All this jeep will be doing is a little cruising every once and awhile.

Bobby

Last edited:
It should physically bolt up as the NP231 and Dana 300 are the same round pattern.And the 4.0 is the same as the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l as far as mounting.

Ive heard some bad thing about the 6speed but that was only in a more offroad vehicle.You should be fine.

What about the T-5 or AX15?They both have Overdrive and will be cheaper.Both are bolt-ins for the most part

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to pass it up. A T-5 or AX15 do sound better. I couldn't find much online at all about putting the 6 speed in a CJ. I think I was just tempted to have something unique in the CJ.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom